What's new

Pre-Order The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi (2003) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
ARTWORK TBA

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
From Paramount, eh? This excellent Beat Takeshi samurai chapter in the long running series, previously issued on the Criterion box, has only been available on disastrous US and UK blu-rays - basically upscaled DVDs. If this is a new scan, it can only be a vast improvement. The film ends with an terrific musical number!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I'm sorry, but this is not at the level of the series or the character originated by Shintao Katsu. With a run of 25 films, great storylines, production and again sorry but once you see Katsu's Zatoichi, the 2003 is a pale ghost of a memory in compairison.
This 2003 venture is just a Bloody mess, in more ways than one. Squirting more blood than any one has in 20 bodies, more reminicent to a Shaw Bros production.
Do have the BD of this, yes, only because I'm a completeist. I enjoyed the film Ichi 2008 much more, with a storyline that suggested that Zatoichi had a blind daughter.

Anyone that was introduced to the original persona of Zatoichi back in the 60s, it it like someone trying to impersonate John Wayne or Clint Eastwood...just falls short.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I'm sorry, but this is not at the level of the series or the character originated by Shintao Katsu. With a run of 25 films, great storylines, production and again sorry but once you see Katsu's Zatoichi, the 2003 is a pale ghost of a memory in compairison.
This 2003 venture is just a Bloody mess, in more ways than one. Squirting more blood than any one has in 20 bodies, more reminicent to a Shaw Bros production.
Do have the BD of this, yes, only because I'm a completeist. I enjoyed the film Ichi 2008 much more, with a storyline that suggested that Zatoichi had a blind daughter.

Anyone that was introduced to the original persona of Zatoichi back in the 60s, it it like someone trying to impersonate John Wayne or Clint Eastwood...just falls short.

Todd,
the number is 26, Shintao Katsu's final appearance happening in Zatoichi 1989 or Zatoichi: Darkness Is His Ally.

why it wasn't included in the Criterion set IDK, but in my opinion even with the huge body count, it is a good closing of the entire saga. And it's nice to see the Character aged and understanding the fate of his life.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Todd,
the number is 26, Shintao Katsu's final appearance happening in Zatoichi 1989 or Zatoichi: Darkness Is His Ally.

why it wasn't included in the Criterion set IDK, but in my opinion even with the huge body count, it is a good closing of the entire saga. And it's nice to see the Character aged and understanding the fate of his life.
Dana UR right, 25 was Zatoichi Conspiracy I alway forget that one. Agreed the Darkness is my friend is a loving return to his loved protrail of Ichi-san. Even though he was the king of the muliti-kill sequences, it was never over done or exstreamly bloody, as in the 2003 reboot. When an actor creates a character as well loved as this one, anyone else coming in is in an uphill battle. the 2003 battle was ok, but for me too Sam Peakinpaw, loud & Bloody, and pointlessly so!!!
I also have all 4 seasons of the Zatoichi TV series. A-lot of great storlines there as well!! About why DIMF was not included into the box set is wierd, it might have been a contratural or rights issues? It seemed strange to me as well!! No worries I have them all on BD now!! Katsu played many characters but for me Ichi was his finest hour.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
No, this is not a new scan - I just wasted $17.99. Paramount is just re-issuing the same dreadful 2009 Disney/Miramax blu-ray - even the previews from the previous blu-ray are the same!

Be aware - now that Paramount now has acquired the Miramax library for home viewing. They will probably repeat this in the future, unless they expressly state that they have made new scans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks