What's new

The best writing on TV today... (1 Viewer)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
... may not be in any of the shows. But anyone who records the Charlie Sheen comedy Two and a Half Men on CBS knows that the biggest laugh of the week is the one-page, black on white, "vanity" title card for Chuck Lorre Productions that flashes for all of two seconds at the end of each episode. Viewed in real time it looks like legal boilerplat with "CHUCK LORRE PRODUCTIONS, #XXX" at the top in Courier (all caps) followed by a lot of single-spaced text. Usually you can't even read more that "CHUCK LORRE" before the thing disappears, but a couple of weeks ago - just before I hit the "delete" button - my eye happened to a couple of lines into the body of the text and I saw what seemed to be an unflattering reference to the folks who hand out the Golden Globe Awards. Sure enough, it was a highly personal screed complaining about how the Hollywood Foreign Press Association kept snubbing the show and its stars. Curious to see if this was a one-off, I started checking out the cards at the ends of the shows that reran over the holidays. Sure enough, they're all different. Just off-the-wall little essays about whatever Lorre is thinking about each week, tacked onto the end of each episode probably as an in-joke for family, co-workers and friends, and as a little reward - like the prize in a box of Crackerjacks -for any fan who stumbles across them.

Here's tonight's edition:

CHUCK LORRE PRODUCTIONS, #149
People often ask me, “Chuck, where do the ideas for Two and a Half Men come from? Well, the answer is very simple. Tonight’s show, for instance, was inspired by many o f the great films that have been out recently. Two handsome young cowboys share a hidden love that society condemns. A love that torments them and presumably requires a lot of lubrication. A brilliant homosexual author is not tormented about being homosexual, but drinks a lot and is tormented while writing a book about tormented men who have killed people. A brilliant and tormented country singer is tormented until he stops drinking and finds the love of a good woman who is not tormented. A brilliant TV news man is tormented by his moral obligation to stand up against a tormented bully. A spy is tormented by the corruption and deceit that lies beneath the politics of oil (a lubricant). A cross-section of Los Angelenos are tormented by the endless cycle of racisms that lies beneath the surface of Los Angeles. An Israeli soldier is tormented by the endless cycle of violence that lies beneath the surface of the Middle East. And finally a big monkey is tormented because he loves a really small woman who, if their love were to proceed, no amount of lubricant would help. Now, if you go back and review tonight’s episode, you’ll see that both Charlie and Alan were tormented. See how it works? The lubrication stuff we’re saving for sweeps.

:)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I should have figured that these would be collected somewhere on the internet. Everything else is. :)

Thanks for the link!

Joe

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was a fan of Dharma and Greg in the first few seasons, and always loved the vanity cards, but then I quite watching the show, and it wasn't until 2.5 Men showed up that I got to see the insane and inane rambling of Chuck's vanity cards once again.

BTW, 2.5 Men is one of the funniest shows on these days. I know no one really talks about it, but it never fails to make me laugh.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Dharma and Greg just never "clicked" with me. And I found Dharma herself such an annoying character that I couldn't see past her to Jenna Elfman - and therefore never understood her appeal. The recent commercials for her new series Courting Alex may make me reconsider. :)

Regards,

Joe

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
So is this a thread about Vanity cards or what we think the best writing on TV is?

I never liked Dharma either but then again I didnt like Suddenly Susan and Veronica's Closet either.
Best writing on TV today, in my opinion, Veronica Mars, Battlestar Galactica, Lost, My Name is Earl, Scrubs, Årrested Deveopment.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for that.

Not a fan of Two and a Half Men, or Dharma and Greg, so I've never really seen these vanity cards. But the one quoted above is loody hilarious - especially the bit about
Thanks, Patrick, for the link. I'm looking forward to reading through the site.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL - I love the first vanity card for Dharma & Greg:
I always liked the show, but I hated Greg a lot more than Dharma. She was definitely over the top (which I could see as why people didn't like the character), but I don't think that's why people hated her. I think it was Greg's reaction that made people hate her character.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
One of the producers/writers of the show is a local boy who has made good, Mark Roberts. A very funny stand-up comedian. I can see him "imprint" all over this show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks