What's new

The best R2 Laurel & Hardy box set? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I noticed that both a 21-DVD set from Universal (R2, UK) and two 10-DVD sets from Kinowelt (R2, Germany) exist.

Does the Universal set use the same Kinowelt masters? I'm hoping that's the case since I don't know a lick of German.

There do seem to be pros and cons for both sets, but I've also got the UK release and it's just a lovely object in itself. Beautifully presented collecton. I don't think you'll be disappointed by it in the slightest.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
The German set has additional digital restoration, plus rare stuff that ain't on the British set, like Charley Chase's impossible-to-find silent comedy short, LIMOUSINE LOVE.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I've read on another board that Milestone and Image were planning a multi disc Charley Chase Collection this year. Grapevine Video has a Charley Chase Jimy Jump series DVD.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The Dutch set (also with the Kinowelt transfers) has the advantage (important to some) of keeping the films in chronological order. It omits the colorized things that take up space in the UK set and thus is frequently available cheaper. I believe the Dutch bonus disc includes things not on the UK set (but I don't have both for comparison so that's to be taken FWIW).

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
Man, do I love the German set. Peerless prints and lotsa bonus shorts with Charley Chase, et al. I wouldn't trade it.

Gary Palmer

Stunt Coordinator
While I agree that a chronological arrangement would be an advantage, I was surprised to find that the UK set did a service to the films by lumping many relevant titles together on a single disc, particularly silent films and their sound remakes. This provides an instant snap-shot of the way L&H's artistry progressed over the years, which is a nice touch in such a big box-set.

Ah well, one of these days we'll have discs which can store every L&H movie on a single disc, with menus that allow you to view them in whatever order you prefer. Not for a while yet, but the technology's on its way...

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
Heads up. Amazon UK have lowered the price of the UK set even further, to £74.97: link. That's a very good price for the lion's share of Laurel and Hardy IMO.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
The only downside to the UK 21-disc set is the way Amazon.UK packages it - it's susceptible to damage in transit. Other than that, it's fabulous. But I sure could have done without the colorized versions.

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Smith
I am REALLY glad Amazon UK dropped the price :emoji_thumbsup: I held off last time, and before I knew it the price went back up...but this time I have it ordered and it's due to ship out on 6/02 :D I can't wait to see how great these look compared to the VCR recordings off of the TCM April Fool showings.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
This latest price drop is a steal folks....don't pass it up. The set is worth it. I paid over $200 and still thought that was a bargain. I'm sorry to read of Alan's troubles with the packaging. Maybe I just lucked out, but mine was very well packaged; plenty of insulated bubble wrap etc. It arrived in pristine condition.

Steve_Smith...the set will blow away most of the TCM showings. Hallmark provided TCM subpar source material for most of the movies that were shown. For example, the copy of Way Out West that was shown was the colorized version with the color turned off. Totally unviewable due to blurriness and artifacting.

TCM received so many complaints (and TCM themselves complained to Hallmark) that they're going to reschedule some of the movies using better material for showing at a later date.

Steve

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, I'm in!

In a hurry today with lots of odds and
ends to take care of.

Could one of you make my life a little easier
and provide me with a link to the purchase page?

$136 is a great price. Wonder what the shipping
cost overseas will be.

Thanks everyone for steering me towards this purchase.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow!

The deal is BETTER than you guys thought...slightly.

Went to the link (thanks Chris) and placed
my order. Here is what was quoted....

(I will use * to indicate British Pound amount)

Set listed as *74.97 ($136 U.S)

Now...

When I added it to my checkout basket the price
was even LOWER.

Set now listed at *63.80 ($116 U.S.)

An AIR shipping and packaging charge
added: *3.08 ($5.58)

Total Amount Paid: *66.88 ($121 U.S.)

At $121 shipped this set is a no-brainer.

Ordered!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The price as shown on Amazon includes UK taxes, which you don't pay, hence the lower price at the check-out (importing the other way, UK customs has been known to slap me with a bill for items over £18; do you guys face similar penalities?)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
John,

Ah, understood.

Well, all I can say is that anyone who is
reading this post and is contemplating a
purchase of the Laurel & Hardy 21-disc set,
you are getting a hell of a deal here!

For U.S. customers the total with shipping
is $121. That's under $5.80 per disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks