What's new

The Best Physical Media Releases of 2021 (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Well, I did watch it upscaled to 4K on a 110" screen, and. . . yes, it wasn't pretty. Accurate to how it's always looked, but not pretty.

At this point of my life, I don't make lists anymore, but if I did, Kino's Baise-Moi would be in my own top ten based on the strength of its extras package (quality, not quantity). I'm sure that the only list it would make would be mine, so YMVV!
There aren't many other people who discuss or recommend foreign released physical media on this forum, so your input is appreciated! :)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
From my pov The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex is a reference quality blu-ray—and not just for 1939, but for things made and released currently.

That is definitely one of the best quality discs I've bought recently. Another is The Naked Spur. I was very impressed by 99% of Ivanhoe but there were a couple of moments where the quality sagged.

sbjork

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
That is definitely one of the best quality discs I've bought recently. Another is The Naked Spur. I was very impressed by 99% of Ivanhoe but there were a couple of moments where the quality sagged.
The Naked Spur was a truly gorgeous restoration. Maybe not quite perfect, but damned close.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The Naked Spur was a truly gorgeous restoration. Maybe not quite perfect, but damned close.
I managed to find a seller on eBay who sold me a copy. So next weekend, I will be able to check out The Naked Spur and see it for myself. I really can't figure out why certain Warner Archive titles will not ship overseas from Amazon!

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I really can't figure out why certain Warner Archive titles will not ship overseas from Amazon!
yeah, so frustrating.
I ordered from Deep Discount to Greece, and while the package was shipped on 12/1 it still isn't here.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
From my pov The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex is a reference quality blu-ray—and not just for 1939, but for things made and released currently.

I fully agree! As beautiful as all the Warner Archives Technicolor restorations have been, none can top the perfection achieved with Elizabeth and Essex.

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
MAD LOVE (1935) Warner Archive. Wonderful transfer and decent commentary. No other extras. A film not quite like any other. Peter Lorre, directed by Karl Freund

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
134594_front.jpeg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Great thread idea!

For me, the best physical media releases of 2021 were Kino’s W.C. Fields output:
-My Little Chickadee (as part of the Mae West wave)
-The Old-Fashioned Way
-It’s A Gift
-The Bank Dick

Fields is pretty much my all-time favorite screen comedian and I had long given up that his catalog would ever get an HD upgrade. The transfers range from brand new and stunning (Chickadee, thanks to a Film Foundation 4K restoration) to completely satisfactory if not absolutely perfectly pristine.

I was thinking about this and I realize that perhaps the best release of the year isn’t the one that has the most stunning transfer of all time or the most bonus features; it’s the one that you keep returning to over and over. In a year when I didn’t exactly have tons of free time, I nonetheless watched each of those discs at least twice, some even more. I’ll probably revisit them every year or so, and I’ll treasure them for as long as I’m watching discs. They are extremely welcome additions to my library. Never thought I’d have the chance to retire the DVD versions.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Great thread idea!

For me, the best physical media releases of 2021 were Kino’s W.C. Fields output:
-My Little Chickadee (as part of the Mae West wave)
-The Old-Fashioned Way
-It’s A Gift
-The Bank Dick

Fields is pretty much my all-time favorite screen comedian and I had long given up that his catalog would ever get an HD upgrade. The transfers range from brand new and stunning (Chickadee, thanks to a Film Foundation 4K restoration) to completely satisfactory if not absolutely perfectly pristine.

I was thinking about this and I realize that perhaps the best release of the year isn’t the one that has the most stunning transfer of all time or the most bonus features; it’s the one that you keep returning to over and over. In a year when I didn’t exactly have tons of free time, I nonetheless watched each of those discs at least twice, some even more. I’ll probably revisit them every year or so, and I’ll treasure them for as long as I’m watching discs. They are extremely welcome additions to my library. Never thought I’d have the chance to retire the DVD versions.
I found The Bank Dick and It's a Gift hilarious. I hadn't seen any W.C. Fields films before these releases were reviewed on this forum. It's taken a lot longer for W.C. Fields to get decent blu-ray releases, like the Marx Brothers, Chaplin and Keaton.

mackjay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I just got THE CRIMINAL (Losey, 1960) on Kino Lorber blu-ray. Looks tremendous. I'm always so pleased to see a less-than-famous film look so good and meticulously presented (Studio Canal origin). The extras are not great, but the commentary by Kat Ellinger is interesting and we can see (among others) the original UK trailer. A somewhat 'psychological' crime film. Stanley Baker, as a recalcitrant criminal, along with Sam Wanamaker, Grégoire Aslan, Patrick Magee, Tom Bell and a solid lineup of others. This has a late-50s b&w crime movie atmosphere that really appeals to me. Characters are textured, conflicted, interesting to watch. And the film spares on one in its outlook. Well worth a look.
738329243449.jpg

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I just got THE CRIMINAL (Losey, 1960) on Kino Lorber blu-ray. Looks tremendous. I'm always so pleased to see a less-than-famous film look so good and meticulously presented (Studio Canal origin). The extras are not great, but the commentary by Kat Ellinger is interesting and we can see (among others) the original UK trailer. A somewhat 'psychological' crime film. Stanley Baker, as a recalcitrant criminal, along with Sam Wanamaker, Grégoire Aslan, Patrick Magee, Tom Bell and a solid lineup of others. This has a late-50s b&w crime movie atmosphere that really appeals to me. Characters are textured, conflicted, interesting to watch. And the film spares on one in its outlook. Well worth a look. View attachment 125568
StudioCanal released this in the UK in 2019 with a nicely restored print and transfer - I'm assuming the Kino Lorber version uses the same master. Joseph Losey's The Servant was my pick for best release of 2021. StudioCanal spared nothing on that one.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Of all the films listed on Beaver's poll, the most intriguing one to me is this Argentinian film noir from 1956, lost for decades and restored from a private collector's film print by the Film Noir Foundation and UCLA Film & Television Archive. There are virtually no reviews or discussions of it anywhere, but Flicker Alley are a quality label and there is a commentary with the always fantastic Imogen Sara Smith. So I think I'm going to have to blind buy this. Would be interesting to hear of anyone on this forum has got it - there are a few film noir aficionados lurking around!

71K28t1W5IL._SL1500_.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Of all the films listed on Beaver's poll, the most intriguing one to me is this Argentinian film noir from 1956, lost for decades and restored from a private collector's film print by the Film Noir Foundation and UCLA Film & Television Archive. There are virtually no reviews or discussions of it anywhere, but Flicker Alley are a quality label and there is a commentary with the always fantastic Imogen Sara Smith. So I think I'm going to have to blind buy this. Would be interesting to hear of anyone on this forum has got it - there are a few film noir aficionados lurking around!

View attachment 125577
My brief review of this Blu-ray back on November 8th. An outstanding Blu-ray along with "The Beast Must Die".

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Excellent - thanks. If you consider this one of the best film noirs you have seen, it sounds like an essential purchase.
Follow Robert's advice and check The Beast Must Die. Chabrol remade it and we didn't even know it was a remake!

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Follow Robert's advice and check The Beast Must Die. Chabrol remade it and we didn't even know it was a remake!
Thanks for the heads-up from Robert and you! I have now ordered these two blu-rays. It is a treat to be able to watch great films, which aren't listed on Rotten Tomatoes, or in my guide books, and have not received much publicity upon their release. I have another film called The Beast Must Die - the 1974 British Horror film about a werewolf, released again by Severin in 2020 - and assumed initially that Robert was referring to that one!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the heads-up from Robert and you! I have now ordered these two blu-rays. It is a treat to be able to watch great films, which aren't listed on Rotten Tomatoes, or in my guide books, and have not received much publicity upon their release. I have another film called The Beast Must Die - the 1974 British Horror film about a werewolf, released again by Severin in 2020 - and assumed initially that Robert was referring to that one!
La Bestia Debe Morir!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks