What's new

Theatrical The Beekeeper (2024)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Title: The Beekeeper (2024)

Tagline: Expose the corruption. Protect the hive.

Genre: Action, Thriller

Director: David Ayer

Cast: Jason Statham, Emmy Raver-Lampman, Bobby Naderi, Josh Hutcherson, Jeremy Irons, Taylor James, Phylicia Rashād, Jemma Redgrave, Minnie Driver, Sophia Feliciano, Enzo Cilenti, Dan Li, Reza Diako, Adam Basil, David Witts, Michael Epp, Don Gilet, Megan Le, Georgia Goodman, Derek Siow, Jay Rincon, Kojo Attah, Joe Urquhart, Peter Brooke, Martin Gordon, Rebecca Jane Hazelwood, Arian Nik, Millen Brown, Reza Diako, Adam Basil, Jonathan Cohen, Harry Fitzgerald, Pedro Minas, Sunny Dhillon, Rocci Williams, Kevin Golding, Víctor Pérez, Baba Oyejide, Bharat Mistri, Olivia Mardon, Valentina Novakovic, Kojo Quainoo, Jessica Maria Gilhooley, Phil Hodges

Release: 2024-01-10

Runtime: 105

Plot: One man’s campaign for vengeance takes on national stakes after he is revealed to be a former operative of a powerful and clandestine organization known as Beekeepers.

So I got a chance to check out "The Beekeeper" which is a pure fantasy starring Jason Stathem about setting things right if you happen to have the requisite skill set and resources. There are some ludicrous obstacles for the beekeeper to properly address poor behavior on display, and I was there for all of the cartoonish hijinks.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of Bee.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting Patrick, I had seen the trailer. After seeing that featurette, it made me wonder if this film could have the kind of elements to make it a John Wick type of franchise.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Interesting Patrick, I had seen the trailer. After seeing that featurette, it made me wonder if this film could have the kind of elements to make it a John Wick type of franchise.

It could. The movie leaves open the door for sequels.

It's watchable but arguably even more absurd than the Wick movies - which I wasn't sure was possible.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
My friend and I enjoyed it for what it was. But it's absurd. My rating is also a "B".

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
From the TV promos, it seems to deal with territory already aptly covered by Denzel Washington's Equalizer franchise, but I'm a Statham fan so I'll probably give it a look at some point.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
From the TV promos, it seems to deal with territory already aptly covered by Denzel Washington's Equalizer franchise, but I'm a Statham fan so I'll probably give it a look at some point.

Yeah, it shares the "getting revenge as a representative of the Little Guy" theme.

More absurd than the "Equalizer" movies, though.

Both demand you accept the hero as pretty much unstoppable, but "Bee" goes even farther in that regard.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
BTW, I found the basic trigger for the Statham character's mission to be flawed.

Spoilerizing this even though it's in the ads:

So after crooks steal all of Eloise's money, she does nothing (apparently) to correct this. She doesn't call the banks. She doesn't call friends. She doesn't call authorities - even though her DAUGHTER is in the FBI.

Sure, they're somewhat estranged, but seriously?

No - this seemingly well-adjusted older woman blows her brains out instead.

Look, I get that an event like this would leave one shaken and distraught, but I find it an enormous stretch to believe Eloise did absolutely nothing after the theft other than kill herself.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I streamed this today, it's typical Jason Statham fare. He's still enjoying reasonable budgets for his solo projects, although the CGI was pretty ropey. It sets up a sequel, and as the box office was reasonable I guess we can look forward to The Beekeeper 2 or Return of The Beekeeper or Sting of The Beekeeper etc etc.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks