What's new

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I'm encouraged that Reeves has said his Batman will focus on the character's detective skills, something that's rarely been used in the films. We could do with a noir Batman.

Truthfully, what I'm really so tired of is making everything so personal for the hero. Why can't Batman - or James Bond or any character - be someone doing his job, rather than working through massive personal angst?

Given that "massive personal angst" created Batman, it seems like a core topic...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
True, but it's like doing yet another Spider-Man origin story. We get it. Move on.

Yes, but it's been done to death. Let's just have a straight-up Batman adventure with no flashbacks to murdered parents or Bruce's upbringing as a lonely little rich boy.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the comments to which I referred meant they wanted a Batman story absent of any personal angst.

I'm fine to get a Batman movie without a retelling of the origin or flashbacks, but I still think his angst should be part of it...

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
Yes to The World's Greatest Detective! There are so many things you can do with that. A story that includes a clear open and close case that the police have wrong and only The Batman knows it. Comic readers would love to see some of the Bruce Wayne alter-egos that he's created to get information on the streets. He doesn't always beat it out of people. Put him in a situation where there's no way out but he's prepared for it. I'm optimistic we still have many fantastic stories coming from Batman.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
really by now we could have had 11 great movies, script and directors be damned, the storyboards are there on the pages, lets see

Year One
Year Two
Court Of Owls
The Man Who Laughs
The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
Hush
Arkham Asylum
The Killing Joke
The Last Arkham
Absolute Terror

a good use of the rogues gallery and a story line as well, just use the damn graphic novels and film them, year one and two the suit is not perfect, and neither is Bruce, he gets knocked around a bit, it builds to him becoming "Batman" why oh why can't WB figure this out. to busy trying to make it different i guess.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
And he used the same exact lie that Joss Whedon used when he left Batgirl. "I just couldn't find a story".

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
For me it's a "wait and see". If they go Frank Miller on it, forget it, I'm not a fan of that Batman. Tim Burton's was my favorite so if they can come closer to that, I'd be happy.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
DC and Warner just can't help themselves, can they?

To be fair, the initial reaction online to Heath Ledger's casting as the Joker was extremely negative, and we all know how that turned out. Remember when they posted the photos and people were freaking out because he wasn't permawhite? I wasn't alive when Michael Keaton was cast, but weren't people upset about that too?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The general public at large wasn’t impressed with the signings of Michael Keaton, Christian Bale and Ben Affleck, but I think all those guys did a good job in the role. I’ll trust that Matt Reeves can recognize a good audition and am comfortable giving him the benefit of the doubt until there’s an actual film to evaluate.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
A friend texted me the news of Pattinson getting the role while I was away from my desk. I admit that my immediate knee-jerk response was, "Seriously?" This is mostly due to the Twilight of it all, which I'm sure is what most people will think of when they hear his name at this point in time. His is not a name I was expecting to hear at all in conjunction with Batman, and that gave me a second of pause.

But then I thought: since I avoided ever actually watching Twilight, I've never actually seen Pattinson in anything other than Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, in which he was good, but that was the same year Christian Bale debuted as Batman. It was so long ago that I don't feel comfortable making any judgments at all about how he might perform as Batman off of that movie. I know that Pattinson has done some indie films since Twilight ended, but I don't think I've seen any of them.

However, like @Josh Steinberg I see no reason not to trust Matt Reeves at this point in time. Reeves had a strong vision for his Planet of the Apes films, and he knew how to get what he wanted. Of course, in that case the lead was already cast for him because he did not direct Rise of the Planet of the Apes, but still. I'm comfortable assuming that Reeves has a strong vision for what he wants his Batman film to be, and if he believes Robert Pattinson is the guy to help him deliver on that vision, then I'm down with that for now. Even if I wasn't down with it, I don't have the ability to change it, so I'm choosing to extenuate the positive for now.

If the movie sucks, I'll say so when it comes out. But it's possible this will show us a whole other side to Robert Pattinson, and that could be very exciting.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know what to say about this reported casting. I've seen Robert Pattinson in some stuff, but I'm not sure about him in this role. TBH, once Affleck left the role, I kind of loss interest in any future Batman movies. I'm in the middle of shifting my attention from such films.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yes, there was tremendous uproar when Michael Keaton was cast. Though Hoult would seem more credible for me just on the basis of projects I've seen him in compared to Pattinson, I'm certainly willing to wait and see what he can do with the part.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, there was tremendous uproar when Michael Keaton was cast. Though Hoult would seem more credible for me just on the basis of projects I've seen him in compared to Pattinson, I'm certainly willing to wait and see what he can do with the part.
I still don't think Keaton was good in that role. I'm not a big fan of those Batman films. Nicholson made the first Batman for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks