What's new

That Girl Season 1 in 2006 (1 Viewer)

kirkWmorgan

Auditioning
:)

Great news.It'd be great if the Season 1 DVD included the unaired pilot which included Harold Gould as Ann's father and a different mom as well.Donald's last name was Bluesky....

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have hardly seen any of these shows since they originally aired in the late 60s. It will be interesting to see how they have aged. I really liked the show when it originally was on TV.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
This is really great news! Now, let's just hope and pray that these are complete uncut episodes. I don't know Shout Factory's reputation on TV releases.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Shout Factory has done a great job with releases like Undeclared, Freaks and Geeks, and SCTV. You're in good hands.

I didn't know the single disc That Girl was so rare, I sold mine years ago for like $15 and it is going for $200 on Amazon now.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I am also looking forward to it. The item says it was licensed. Who does own the rights to this? Paramount would be my guess. Whoever does, I guess we can thank them for licensing it instead of letting it sit and gather dust.

Jon Baker

Second Unit
The episodes look great! Damn what a flashback! However the opening theme from season 1 is not the same one I remembered where Marlo Thomas makes eye contact with the winking mannequin and bites her glove...and doesn't she fly a kite too?...and weren't there vocals in the theme during one season - singing about diamonds and popcorn? (ie. "diamonds, popcorn, hot pants, that girl...")

Marlo Thomas and Ted Bessell have great chemistry - even in the first episodes. I hope Shout continues to release the following seasons.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
The theme song lyrics didn't come in until towards the end of the run, maybe 4th season or possibly just in the 5th. The opening titles changed every season and the one you speak of came later on. As for the rights, well it's owned by Daisy Productions which is Marlo Thomas herself.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The words to the theme song were only used in the last season which was also the season she changed her hair style and lost the bangs. The opening that starts with the train ride into NYC and includes the wink mentioned above started in Season 2 . The only change in the opening after that was the addition of the words to the theme song in the last year when they were engaged.

I read once that they were going to do a reunion TV movie where Ann and Don meet after many years. One was divorced and the other widowed. Since the show never saw them get married this was possible. Sadly Ted died before
this happened.

Here is some trivia from IMDB:

In the first season opening credits, Ann walks through Times Square and sees several Broadway marquees. "Philadelphia, Here I Come!" closed on 1 October 1966, while "Cabaret" opened on 20 December 1966 and Neil Simon's "The Star-Spangled Girl" opened on 21 December 1966. The three shows never ran at the same time.

I don't think this could have been during the first season which started in September 1966.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Correct. That didn't happen until the revamped second season credits, which as you pointed out, stayed through the fifth season, except they added the lyrics for the final season.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Actually, since we're getting trivial here, "Cabaret" opened on November 20, 1966, not December 20. As for the marquee of a show that had closed two months earlier still being visible, that's nothing -- some marquees have stayed up for YEARS on Broadway. It's also possible that the marquees were in place for shows that hadn't opened yet.

So, if the IMDB is implying that it's a "flub" to see all those marquees simultaneously, it isn't. I would bet that opening was filmed in one day in late 1966, and that's what one would have seen walking up and down 46th, 45th and 44th streets, west of Broadway.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
I'm getting excited about this release. Entertainment Tonight did a story on the release yesterday, and they showed some extras from the dvd like Marlo's screen tests which show her trying out different hairstyles before settling on the famous bangs and flip hairdo.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I got my set yesterday and I have already watched the whole first disc (which has all of the special features). This was too much fun. I haven't seen an episode of That Girl in years. The episodes look really great. There are a few moments where the picture is grainy, but I suspect that this is due to the age or the technology at the time. However, I'd say 90% of each episode is clear and crisp.

Yeah, I was rather confused by the opening credits for season one. It was not what I remembered, but as has been pointed out, these change for season two. I can't wait to get the rest of this series.

As for how well these have held up. Well...they do look very dated. There is no mistaking that this show was in the 60s. The comedy isn't laugh out loud funny, but the show is cute and very, very charming.

I'm so glad that this classic show is finally on DVD.

The episode that most everyone remembers is the one where Anne Marie gets her toe stuck in a bowling ball. Yes, that episode is from the first season and it's on disc 5. The last time that I saw that episode was on TVLand, years and years ago.

Marlo, thanks so much for getting this gem of a show on DVD.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Great set.
Very enjoyable show, and Shout Factory has done their usual wonderful job.

However, i do have a qualm about the way the episodes look.
On many of them the color isn't quite right...although they are almost all crystal clear, the color balance leans toward green and purple-ish (and no, it isn't my tv...the new footage of Marlo looks normal).

In fact, I have some of these episodes from TvLand in the mid 90's,
and the color is correct there.

I wonder why?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
This isn't a complaint, as I'm very happy with the set, just an observation, but I did think the transfers looked and sounded better on the Anchor Bay disc. Not a big difference, but noticeable. I loved the extras, but I gotta say, I'm dreading watching the unaired pilot based on the footage of it I saw in the doc. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around "Donald Blue Sky." :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks