What's new

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019) (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
From what I've read, this next movie is intended to kick off trilogy. I also got the impression they would be introducing new characters to carry the torch forward. Arnold and Linda MIGHT be in supporting roles.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm guessing they'll go with a "Force Awakens" model. They'll certainly have to sidestep the other films, since Terminator 3 makes it clear that Sarah Connor dies of cancer only a few years after the events of T2.

Maybe something like:

It's present day and the threat of Judgment Day has been neutralized thanks to the events in T2 (in this universe, it's likely that none of the other films happened), and because of their earlier success, no one knows what disaster was averted. But, as it turns out, Judgment Day can only be postponed, not prevented. When people sharing the same name start turning up dead, one of the intended victims learns that the deaths are awfully similar to an event from 1984, where a series of women by the name of Sarah Connor turned up dead from execution-style killings. After learning about a survivor with that name, our young target seeks out this woman, off the radar for over 25 years, hoping that she could provide some answers...

Actually, I'd pay to see that movie.

The thing that's even more encouraging to me than James Cameron's participation is that of writer Josh Friedman, who was the creator and showrunner for the outstanding and gone-too-soon series "The Sarah Connor Chronicles". That was a show that really got the Terminator mythos, the Sarah Connor character, and what an endless war between past, present and future would look like. If this new film has combination of intelligence and heart that Sarah Connor Chronicles had, it could be amazing.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Call me crazy, but I really like Salvation. I haven't seen it since '09, but it was a great action movie and I thought was a great way to continue the franchise. And it gave us the wonderful Christian Bale tirade. Whenever I feel down I get onto youtube and give it a listen. Never fails to put me in a good mood.

I never saw Genisys or the Sarah Connor show. I feel a great big sens eof "whatever" even if Cameron gets back involved. Though if word of mouth is good I guess I'll see it eventually.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I've liked all the Terminator movies to one degree or another with the exception of Salvation. Getting Lindsey Hamilton back for a James Cameron led sequel intrigues.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I loved the first two films, and as far as I am concerned, the story ended with T2. I gave T3 a shot and wanted to like it when I saw it, but it was bad, and nothing in it was worth undercutting the fabulous ending of T2. I didn't bother to watch any of the others since then.

I just thought that ending was so perfect and it doesn't need anything else. If James Cameron wants to produce a sequel, I would be more open to that than the other ones he wasn't involved in, but I have never felt like T2 needed to have anything added onto it, and there is a huge margin of error hanging over any project that attempts to follow that up. James Cameron had better have a killer idea in order to justify reopening the book on this. If he produces a film with Linda Hamilton starring, it will be much harder to ignore than the other subpar sequels and could very easily damage the reputation of Terminator as a brand/series/piece of cinematic history.

As far as Tim Miller is concerned, I thought Deadpool was a cool movie and am sorry he's not back to direct the next one of those. However, with no disrespect intended to Mr. Miller, I'd much rather have James Cameron directing this film than four pointless billion dollar Avatar sequels no one seemed to ask for. He won't, but I think he should reorganize his priorities.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Didn't see any other thread about the 2019 movie, so I'm posting here even though the last post is almost a year old. The first official image from the film has been released:

Djg_zjfUYAAK3FJ.jpg:large

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Didn't see any other thread about the 2019 movie, so I'm posting here even though the last post is almost a year old. The first official image from the film has been released:

Djg_zjfUYAAK3FJ.jpg:large
Ok, that's Sarah Conner (L. Hamilton) on the right, I'm guessing young John Conner in the middle, and ??? on the left. Linda's arms don't have the bulk from T2, but the years do that to you, I can attest.

You could start a new thread for this movie. Jeez, are the going to have Arnold's T2 joints squeak until they get come of that scarecrow oil?

Wait a minute. Took closer look at the photo, that's not John Conner, unless he's undergone a sex change operation.

Is that Mckenzie Davis? And why does she have all those scars that look very ... mechanical?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ok, that's Sarah Conner (L. Hamilton) on the right, I'm guessing young John Conner in the middle, and ??? on the left. Linda's arms don't have the bulk from T2, but the years do that to you, I can attest.

You could start a new thread for this movie. Jeez, are the going to have Arnold's T2 joints squeak until they get come of that scarecrow oil?

Wait a minute. Took closer look at the photo, that's not John Conner, unless he's undergone a sex change operation.

Is that Mckenzie Davis? And why does she have all those scars that look very ... mechanical?
Yes, that's Mackenzie Davis in the middle. If I had to guess, I'd say that she's been augmented with an endoskeleton hence the scars.

hanshotfirst1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
One can only hope this will get us T1 with the mono and T2 sans DNR, but I’m not holding my breath on either.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
I'm with you, Jake. The real movies are the first two. However I don't believe anything can displace them as the cinema classics they are - not even a bad sequel with Cameron/Hamilton/Arnold. You and I have been able to ignore the existing sequels with no issue so why would this one be different? Though I admit I did like T3 when it came out.

For me part of what undoubtedly makes the first two films is the time in which they were made. Far more time has passed since T2 than passed between '84 and '91, and '91 sensibilities are more like '84 sensibilities than they are to today's. So frankly I'm skeptical of what we'll get no matter who's involved.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Arnie and Gabriel Luna are training together:

DkKtZ_gU0AAzeB9.jpg:large

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm with you, Jake. The real movies are the first two. However I don't believe anything can displace them as the cinema classics they are - not even a bad sequel with Cameron/Hamilton/Arnold. You and I have been able to ignore the existing sequels with no issue so why would this one be different? Though I admit I did like T3 when it came out.

Because it's one thing for someone else to damage Cameron's brand and another thing for him to do it himself. This doesn't mean that the first two will become bad movies, but Cameron putting his name on this one gives it a status that the others don't have, and if it's bad, he'll do more damage to the brand overall than anyone else did.

For example, The Lord of the Rings is still a spectacular achievement, but Peter Jackson shit the bed with The Hobbit, and now it's very difficult for me to want to watch any of it because of the overextension and bloat. Same with Pirates of the Caribbean, even though at least the first of those is a great movie, but the sequels of decreasing quality have cheapened and dampened its legacy.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Because it's one thing for someone else to damage Cameron's brand and another thing for him to do it himself. This doesn't mean that the first two will become bad movies, but Cameron putting his name on this one gives it a status that the others don't have, and if it's bad, he'll do more damage to the brand overall than anyone else did.

For example, The Lord of the Rings is still a spectacular achievement, but Peter Jackson shit the bed with The Hobbit, and now it's very difficult for me to want to watch any of it because of the overextension and bloat. Same with Pirates of the Caribbean, even though at least the first of those is a great movie, but the sequels of decreasing quality have cheapened and dampened its legacy.
I think that’s your reaction. If this latest Cameron Terminator sucks, the first two will still be great, enjoyable movies. I am even able to excise the memory of Alien 3 (for certain storyline reasons) and still enjoy the first 2.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor

I understand what you're saying, but I think we're now talking a bit more subjectively about personal focus. I'm not a LOTR fan but if I shared your comparison I'm sure I could simply pretend Hobbit didn't happen, especially since it's a different film series. As it is the first Pirates movie is the only Pirates movie for me. But the Back to the Future trilogy is a complete masterwork with tight involvement from the creators all the way. That's probably why I've never understood how some folks can easily dismiss the sequels as far inferior to the original, as if copycats were trying their hand like we see in some modern reboot efforts.

At the same time I also can't retroactively cleanse the palate either. Maybe it depends on how authentically a franchise has been maintained? Several non-Cameron Terminators have already
failed to hold up so the damage to the brand has been done. I can't sidestep that. So for me the expectation is for him to at least tidy up the mess (or not) and should if anything face less pressure to compete with himself. Assuming he has the same creative freedom he did before.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think that’s your reaction. If this latest Cameron Terminator sucks, the first two will still be great, enjoyable movies. I am even able to excise the memory of Alien 3 (for certain storyline reasons) and still enjoy the first 2.
I do think a string of lousy sequels can make the series look bad in the eyes of the general public but yeah, the good movies are still good. A perfect example is Halloween. The first one is great and because of the sequels & remakes, most people probably think at it as some goofy slasher movie.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

To you they have Jake. Not to everyone.

In particular I enjoyed The Hobbit films.

And nothing can damage the original films of any series of films no matter what the sequels do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks