What's new

Terminator 2 D-VHS available at LASERS EDGE (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
For those of you who think I was "bashing" Oscar, I would suggest that you take a look at his posts on this subject in another thread entitled "D-VHS SERIOUSLY BEST DVD AND OTA HIGH DEFINITION" or something like that.

He has stated his position NUMEROUS times in that thread, and he has already posted his "opinion" about five or six times in this thread.

And I have no problem with people that have reservations about this new format. If I had my way, we would have High Def DVD, not TAPE! I have concerns about tape wear and chewing of tapes too.

But to say:

I do support it, i just wont buy it.
As easy as that, not my type.
really doesn't make sense, as it is completely contradictory, and really doesn't add anything to the discussion.

That being said, looking back on my comments, perhaps they were a little more sarcastic than they needed to be!:b

Oscar

Second Unit
I said it before and i will say it again:
I am beginning to think, that this might be the most uncomfortable forum i had ever been in my life. :angry:

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Oscar,
I certainly did not mean to bash you. But if every single D-VHS thread at HTF has to degenerate into a format debate, I'm no longer interested in these threads.
It's when, for a while, in the Video Games area every single thread seemed to lead to debating XBox versus PS2 versus Gamecube. It kills the signal to noise and makes it very hard to tell the threads apart and for the enthusiasts of a format to have a discussion.
Don't get me wrong, I don't believe in censoring debate in a 'public' forum; but I just think we ought to be able to censor ourselves to keep the debate in a few appropriate threads and leave some of the threads open for those who just want to share information and discuss the happenings of the new format.
I don't want to have to go to AVS for all D-VHS discussion, but I guess I have to.
Edit: I see Robert gave this thread a nudge while I was writing this. Thanks, Robert.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Let's move this discussion back to the topic at hand! Thank you.
Good idea!
I just went to the Laser's Edge website and noticed that they have T2 for $26.24! That's a great price! I paid about the same amount for my copy of Terminator 2 Ultimate Edition DVD!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
I won't be buying this, but I must say 1080i for $27 is almost worth it. Too bad the player is 2-3X the price of a DVD recorder these days.

Brendon

Second Unit
Question: I may have read wrong, but I'm sure I'd read someplace that the Dolby Digital track on DVHS/D-Theater can be up to 640kbs.

If this is correct, and apologies if it isn't, I'm curious as to how many people have the capacity to replay it at 640kbs.

I have the "DVD Spectacular" DVD from some time back. On it is a hidden 5.1 Dolby Digital audio track recorded at 640kbs. I tried playing this on my Pioneer player/Pioneer amp, and it failed to play. Whilst playing the track there is a splash screen displayed saying that the high bitrate track may not play on some equipment.

Does anyone know if the 640kbs capability of DVHS Dolby Digital is correct, and if so, what it's compatability with expected kit is ?

Cheers,

Bren

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Tempting... But I'm holding out till more titles become available... Perhaps a certain flick from New Line ;););)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member

I hope that if I respond briefly to Rob's question that I'm not violating Robert's request. I just saw his question and don't want to not answer.

In brief, I LOVE the idea of HD. I have an HD TV, and here in San Antonio we just started getting HD broadcasts and I bought the extra equipment to allow me to watch it. I would gladly upgrade EVERY dvd in my collection to HD-DVD, just as I have upgraded every ld to dvd as it has become available. Yes, I'm talking about spending tons of money to upgrade nearly 1000 dvds/lds. And I'm not a rich man.

But I am a Home Theatre Enthusiast who wants to purchase a movie that will NEVER, with proper care deteriorate. A VHS tape, no matter how beautiful it looks when I first play it, will eventually deteriorate, even if that means it looks absolutely gorgeous until the time it pixelates all to hell, and I am not biting.

Obviously there are enough people here who are willing to bite. If you are going to buy into this, then Laser's Edge is a great place to spend your money. But they won't get any of mine (except for dvds and eventually hd-dvd).

I hope that answers Rob's question and doesn't sidetrack the discussion.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Brendon, Dolby Digital on DVD-Video is restricted to a maximum bit-rate of 448kbps, so most players simply haven't been designed to output 640kbps.

However, all non-DTV Dolby Digital decoders with S/PDIF digital inputs (all current receivers/amplifiers and offboard processors) are designed (and required by Dolby Labs) to process all Dolby Digital bit-rates, up to and including 640kbps. The problems many have experienced playing DVD Spectacular's 640kbps soundtrack are therefore due to their DVD players, not their amps (which will all allow them to hear 640kbps Dolby Digital on D-VHS, if present, with no problems).

Adam

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
As an employee of a HT store, the idea of having a D-VHS player with a few titles is much more appealing than installing satellite equipment and paying for random HD programming. I am pushing for my employers to get a D-VHS machine. We do not sell satellite equipment, and will not sell D-VHS stuff, but this is a much better way to show HD in our store in my opinion.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
Everyone is so excited about HD. I see it as something I save to get, then everyone complains that it's not as good as Super Definition, or Ultra definition, there are the next two new things, I called the names first, so be sure to give me some money.

Brendon

Second Unit
Adam B,

Thanks for the info! Without knowing whether my DVD player is DEFINATELY outputting the higher bitstream, I had no means of determining if my amp could decode it.

My day has not been waster!

Cheers,

Brendon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks