1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Terminator 2 D-VHS available at LASERS EDGE

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 8, 2002.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Lasers Edge, the official mail-order
    DVD sponsor of this forum is proud to announce
    that they have a handful of copies of Terminator 2
    on the new D-VHS format available.
    While they only have a few copies available
    right now, they expect more to arrive based on
    the amount orders they receive. *
    You can purchase it by clicking here.
    More titles to come!

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I love Laser's Edge (I just recieved 3 dvds I ordered from them this week), but I despise D-VHS (not as much as divx, but almost). I think they should wait until HD-DVD before they "proudly" announce a new format. If I were in this business, I might carry such a product, but I would privately be "ashamed", not "proud" of doing so. [​IMG]

3. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

4. Michael St. Clair

Some people would complain if Hollywood started selling pristine 35mm prints to collectors for $50 just because it's not a disc format.

5. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

Hmm. Interesting.

I do support it, i just wont buy it.
    As easy as that, not my type.

6. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

Cart vs. horse - I'm going to wait until there is a significant number of desirable titles available before I plunk down a pile of money for a player.

7. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I think the idea of a HD format is awesome. I am not going to be an early adopter on this one though. Maybe if HD DVD isn't available in the next 4 or 5 years I will consider it. By then the price of players will have come down and there will be more titles to choose from.

I think it's pretty cool that Lasers Edge has this available though and at a pretty reasonable price to boot.

8. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

9. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

Rob, Rob, Rob, Rob, Rob.

Just because i don´t want to buy something that you support does not mean that you need to have that attitude towards me.

The reason why i won´t buy DVHS is because is not my type.
    Also it dosen´t suit to what i like.

Also because i know that another format is going to come along and replace it.

That´s why. I stick for DVD and HD-DVD. Also DVHS is not tempting at least for me.

10. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

But yet. WHO KNOWS?!.

I might.

After all, i said i wasn´t going to buy the Harry Potter DVD and ended up buying it.

11. Michael St. Clair

I just don't see why every D-VHS thread has to have bashing in it.

12. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

And i don´t see why every member on this forum that dosen´t like something everybody does has to get bashed.

13. Dharmesh C

Dharmesh C Supporting Actor

Thankfully, D-VHS will probably never make it to the British Isles. At the end of the day, it's still tape. I don't understand the point of D-VHS, clearly, HD-DVD is the way forward. Hang on, Hollywood don't want a durable format [​IMG]

14. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

What Dharmesh said was right.

As much as you keep your tape it will wear out.

I have my original Star Wars tapes on a plastic box and i have barely played them.

Now they are all screwed up.

If there is a reason why i support DVHS, is because is an HD format. Nothing else.

As easy as that, i am not bashing it. I am just supporting it, but i won´t buy it. Is not of my taste. Sorry.

15. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

Also does anyone agree with me that 1500 is WAY too expensive for a Tape-Deck?!.

I mean at least 500 dollars is a more reasonable price.

BUT 1500?!!!!!.
    And the tapes: 35-50 dollars?!!!!!!!.

I am a Home Theater enthuiast. But that is way too much money. Also why did studios chose tape?!.

I mean tape, does not deserve to be like that.Because who gives a hoot about it this days?!. Disc is the future.

But i can´t wait to see the pro-DVHS campaings that will say that DVD could scratch or dirty up with dust.
    DVHS dosen´t.

But my policy is too buy something that has apply to you and stay with it, and if another thing comes, i see if it has apply to me, then i buy it.

In spite of being an HT enthuiast, if D-VHS does not apply to me, then is my problem, not yours.

Everybody has a different taste.
    Respect it.

16. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Rob,
    that wasn't very cool, Oscar was just offering his opinion that's all, and he wasn't being rude or anything.

I think it's fairly normal for some to feel a little animosity for something that could threaten something they already love. I went through the same thing when I was into LD and heard about this little punk named DVD and how much better than LD it was. This thing called DVD beat LD!? Don't be absurd, NOTHING beats LD, it's the best!! So yeah, I felt a little threatened in some strange way. Not saying that D-VHS is a threat to dvd, but i'm just saying.

That said, let me say thanks to Ron for the heads up, but I will not be buying into D-VHS. It doesn't matter how great it is, it's still tape, and WILL breakdown and degrade upon repeated viewing. Nope, i'm waiting for HD-DVD. Even low, half, or whatever, bit rate HD-DVD will look MUCH better than dvd in it's current form.

And yes Oscar, 1500 is far too out of reach for me and a lot of people for what is essentially, a souped up VCR.

17. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

The latest Widescreen Review had a very interesting look at this new format, and it's tempting. The problem for me is that it would be too expensive an expenditure at this point. My television is widescreen, but not HD. So I would need to invest in not only the D-VHS deck but also a compatible television. But I am interested in the best possible quality, more than what format delivers that quality.

But, as I said, it's tempting. If the STAR WARS or INDIANA JONES films were released on this format, I'd be even more tempted.

18. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

I dont feel that D-VHS is a threat to DVD.

A reason why i never brought Laserdisc was because it didn´t apply to me. Too expensive.

DVD has perfect apply to me.

An easy reason why D-VHS is not a threat is: the price.

But remember, what the studios were saying that DVD was going to be a short-lived joke. And look what it turned out!.

But as far as i know, nobody likes tape anymore.

But i prefer wating for HD-DVD and if it dosen´t come quick, well then i will probably buy DVHS.

19. Oscar

Oscar Second Unit

For some reason or another, i am beginning to feel that this is the most uncomfortable forum, i had ever been in my life. [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Lucas Dang

Lucas Dang Stunt Coordinator

I read the previous threads on D-VHs, I got tired of the bashing afterawhile, it seems my answers never were addressed.
    Can anyone who actually has the JVC D-VHS player with the encription tell me how this thing connects, and how it will work with 1st and 2nd generation HDTVS that dont have firewire inputs.
    I am considering buying one, especially if i can get in closer to 1K instead of 1500$ My first Home theater purchase was a Sony HIFI VCR with self cleaning heads and flying erase head. I paid 1000$ for it at sears. I have had it for over 10 years, never a glitch, still works and looks as good as it can. So if I buy this D-VHS and the format doesnt blossom, at least i will have a nice VCR to retire my sony.
    My opinion without having actually seen it, is that its obviously a niche product, just like ld which i enjoyed, and often paid 50-65 dollars for a single movie. I hope that it can at least be as successful as LD and survive as a niche product. Even if it only has a few titles, if those are really great titles, it will be worth it to me.
    I believe that I would be watching a handful of titles over and over if the picture is as good as they say. We have DVD for catalog, but D-VHS can be for those special films.
    I would pay 50$ any day for some of my favorites.
    This brings up the problem of me playing these handful of movies over and over and possibly wearing out the tape.
    So I propose a replacement policy. IF your tape wears out, you send it to the studio for a replacement free of charge. This would help ease a lot of folks' fear of tape.
    No instant scene access, special features, ect. DVD has us spoiled. But at the core of my own home theater experience, i just like to watch the movie.
    T2 is a great title to start with. Maybe we will even get the Abyss animorphic this time.
    Starwars and Indy Trilogies would sell the format.
    I'd love to hear from anyone has the D-VHS.
    [email protected]