What's new

Tempur-Pedic (1 Viewer)

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Question about mattresses. Does anyone have a tempur-pedic or has anyone slept on one? Is Tempur-Pedic like Bose: a marketing company that happens to sell a product? I only know one person who has slept on one and he was extremely pleased with it, but I'm afraid it might be a sort of placebo effect. They really aren't significantly more expensive than other nice mattresses, but I don't think there's anywhere nearby to check one out or anything. So, any opinions or experiences are welcome. Thanks.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
My father has a lot of trouble sleeping and got one and loves it. I've had a pillow for years and recently bought a knock-ff 2" mattress topper (I only paid $40 at Smartbargains.com but they're sold out; I think you can get the same thing for like $100-$150 @ Costco/BJs.)

I sleep like a baby on the thing. Whenever I'm away, I'm always happy to see my bed when I get home (whether at home, friends or a nice hotel.) No more lower back pain either and it just feels so nice.

In general, I've read a lot of people are just as happy with a mattress topper than a full mattress. Also, the cheap knock-offs aren't supposed to be up to the same quality as the real tempur-pedic stuff. But in my case, I think a real one would have cost ~$400. So for 90% off, I figured it's worth the risk. :) There's seems to be a whole slew up different knock-offs now though, so I'd just look around for reviews.

Edit:

Ooh. They're back in stock! This is what I've got:

http://www.smartbargains.com/prod.as...dId=3030126776

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
I had a mattress that was older than me and needed something new. I looked at Tempur-Pedic, and tried one in the store, but it was just too expensive. Then I started looking on the Internet and found other people marketing visco-elastic foam mattresses. I ended up getting one for about half the cost of the Tempur-Pedic mattress, with the same foam rating (firmness, etc). I can't tell any difference between the Tempur mattress, and neither could a friend of mine who works for Tempur-Pedic. I think the place where I bought it was called bsleep.com but I'm having trouble finding the info. I think I just put Tempur-Pedic in a search engine and found plenty of places. The place I bought claimed to be an OEM manufacturer of many different mattresses.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I also went with a visco-elastic foam "mattress topper", in my case a three inch model. It cost me around $100 plus another $30 for a "deeper" fitted sheet. I sleep much better and wake up with less pain than I've had in years. So count me as another vote for the knock-offs and mattress toppers vs. a full mattress. (How far do you sink into your mattress anyway? :))

Regards,

Joe

Stephen L

Second Unit

thanks for the info Bill we just ordered . My wife was looking at these at Costco , $120 I believe , same company too.

Dustin Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I bought an off brand Tempur Pedic clone last year and I'm happy with it ($1000 for a queen). It is very comfortable and everyone who has slept on it has agreed it's more comfortable than just a regular mattress.

The only downfall to it is the foam seems to absorb and trap your body heat making it a little hotter. Other than that, I'm happy with it.

If you don't go with a Tempur type of mattress, then I would try a Beauty Rest mattress. That's what I had before and it's just about as comfortable.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I wanted a tempur but #1 they don't make a special fit for
my waterbed frame which I refuse to get rid of.. And #2
they are horrendously expensive.. They Start at $1500.00
for the 8" thick the 10" thick are over 2K for a Queen and
it gets more riduculous from there on up.. The fully loaded
Queen with frame (massage/adjustable) was $3500.00 at a
local store.

I ordered a custom made Serta Perfect Sleep custom sized
for my 83.5 x 60" Waterbed Queen and it should be in this
week some time and it cost me $450.00 for the pillow top
version and I am going to spend $100.00 on a generic visco
elastic 3" topper and I am set!

Walt N

Second Unit
I have never tried a Tempur-pedic bed specifically, but I'm sold on sleeping on foam.

It's more than hype, they're great especially if you're a side sleeper. I spend a lot of time in hotels and first encountered foam mattresses at Marriott locations. Matter 'O fact I'm typing this from the Dallas Marriott. I have a hard time sleeping on some hotel beds, but on theirs I slept like I was in a coma.

Since I'd just bought a new Serta mattress set for the house (which I had been absolutely content with until then), I went with a 2" memory foam topper from Sam's Club for $100 and that got me where I wanted to be. A few months later I bought another one to see if 4" was better than 2", and it was. :)

If I were starting from scratch I'd probably spring for a Tempur-pedic bed or a good equivalent, but I think that one or two foam toppers (perhaps depending on your size and weight) on a good regular bed is at least as comfy as the Marriott bed. The biggest advantage I see to a Tempur-pedic type bed over mine is that my bed now seems like it's 6 feet tall and the dogs have a hard time getting up there. Of course to some that might be considered a plus.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I have one of the clones and use my old waterbed frame for it. You can get a clone for about half the price. Overall, I enjoy it more than any other mattress I've owned. And, it doesn't leak or need maintenance like my old waterbeds used to.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone have a suggestion of a good knock-off brand for the entire mattress (not the topper)? I may get a topper for awhile, but in the next year or so I'll definitely be getting a new mattress, so any advice on brands would be appreciated.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I started a similar thread a while back and got mixed reviews. Some people complained about the foam not "breathing" enough and they would feel "clammy" at night. Some also complained that the foam does develop a memory and will sag over time despite Tepur-pedic's claims.

Do a google search for Visco-elastic and you'll find places that'll sell it to you much cheaper.

I did have Tempur-pedic send me a free sample of the stuff. It is wierd. It's addictive to squeeze. :)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I have a Tempurpedic (the official one), queen size. It works great! I compared it with a knockoff brand, and the Tempur is much more firm, which is my preference. It seems most of the "knock offs" are much softer, so it's best if you can try before you buy instead of ordering online.

I also have the tempur pillow. It is softer than when it was new, but it seems to have settled and I don't think it will get any softer. However, a friend of mine has a tempur pillow and she says hers goes very flat, so I suspect there may be quality control issues.

I have not had any back problems since I got my tempur bed. I still have stiff neck problems, but find that if a don't use the pillow, and just lay flat on the mattress, my neck isn't as stiff in the morning. So I don't really need a pillow with this mattress. :)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Many people are selling the toppers on eBay. I'm thinking of getting one myself. Has anyone done that already? If so, are any of these sellers in particular recommended (or to be avoided)?

DanaA

Screenwriter
Seth, here's a link to epinions.com where they have a lot of feedback about the different products. You can get an idea as to which ones are good, as well as a picture of the prices you might have to pay.

Link

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I haven't got the mattress, but the pillow works great (a King Koil clone BTW, not the actual thing). I used to get cricks in the neck every now and then, but since I shelled out for the pillow, it hasn't happened, and it doesn't ache near as much as it used to. I only bought after two other friends gave major thumbs-up reviews (they got the actual Tempurs), so add them to the list of happy customers.

(insert lascivious comment here :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks