What's new

Tech caught abusing customer's Ford Cobra (1 Viewer)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
C'mon folks, doesn't anyone remember the joyride in Ferris Bueller's Day Off??? Do you really think that happens only in the movies? IMO all high-performance vehicles should have a "valet" system in them like the Corvette ZR-1 did.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
IMO all high-performance vehicles should have a "valet" system in them like the Corvette ZR-1 did.
What was this and how did it work? Also, for Jeff Savage, its one thing to limit a cars top speed or RPM for a valet attendant, but I dont think a service guy is going to be able to diagnose any problems with that kind of limiter in place.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
A few months ago I had to take my BMW in to the dealer because the "check engine" light came on. The guy at the service department said that after it was fixed a technician would "road test" the vehicle. I figured he would drive it around the block or something, but the manager said the tech would drive it home and back (overnight and about 90 miles total). Talk about a disconcerting feeling! When I got it back it seemed okay but I wonder how it was treated.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
What a great read. Those threads are growing pages by the minute.
I say hang the tech and the dealership, revoke there SVT status or whatever it is and air out this dirty laundry. Hey, if a lady can get hundreds of thousands for spilling coffee on herself, give this lady millions, make the dealership (and the ex-employee) feel the financial pain.
Peace Out~:D

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Everytime I take my GT-S to the Toyota dealership for oil change, tire rotation, etc... a couple of the techs come out of the shop to the service writer's desk to have a look at it. Happens anywhere I go. When I had my Sunfire, I was so paranoid of some punk tech taking it for a joyride, I would stand outside the service bay while my car was being serviced.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I assume you'll give all that money to charity, right? Because you suffered no injury or monetary loss, and you're surely not suing just to seize the opportunity to make a quick buck.

Really, 6 figures for someone driving your car? Step back and look at the situation here, man... talk about frivolous lawsuits ruining this country...

/Mike

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
What was this and how did it work?
I believe the "valet" system was a small key, different than the ignition key, that could be turned and removed depending on the situation. Turning the key to "valet" restricted the 405hp engine to 250hp. Fuel flow was restricted so that the engine couldn't develop full power.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I think six figures is appropriate for punitive damages. The point of punitive damages is not just to punish but to set a public example. (Punitive damages are also known as exemplary damages.) Don't you agree that an example should be set?

I'd also seek to have their repair certifications revoked and their certification signs replaced with signs with big black letters saying "WARNING! TECHNICIANS ARE LIKELY TO TAKE YOUR CAR FOR A 140 MPH JOYRIDE!"

I like the GPS idea. There are hidden GPS systems which are used to keep track of teenage drivers. But I was going to suggest just writing down the odometer reading and informing the service manager that you've done so. At this point it would be useful to remind him/her of Tim's six figure lawsuit.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I think the Corvette Valet system had 2 keys. Using the little security keys GM has with the little black chip, they just used 2 different chips, one would unlock the full potential of the engine and the other made the computer de-tune it.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I think the Corvette Valet system had 2 keys. Using the little security keys GM has with the little black chip, they just used 2 different chips, one would unlock the full potential of the engine and the other made the computer de-tune it.
most cars have a valet key and a master key, I think there was an igniton type key thingy :) in the console, and that switched it from valet to normal, but only the master key could do it.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
The "valet" key on most cars that have it (none of my cars have had it) are like the regular key but won't open the trunk. When I had a Ford Taurus (don't ask) it had a separate key just for the trunk, so for "valet" you'd just give them the ignition key and hold on to the trunk key.

I think the "valet" option on performance cars should limit it to about 100 hp (250 hp is still a lot of power), and also allow configurable speed/mileage limits. When you drop the car off for an oil change, you set it to a max speed of 30 mph and 5 miles. Bingo, no more joyrides (or if they try, they won't get very far). Let your teenager borrow the car, set it to a 60 mph/X mile/200 hp limit, where X is 1.5 times the distance they "should" be driving.

KJP

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
Also, for Jeff Savage, its one thing to limit a cars top speed or RPM for a valet attendant, but I dont think a service guy is going to be able to diagnose any problems with that kind of limiter in place.
Yikes like I would take my prized machine to a dealer for anything to would require them actualy driving it. I only take to dealers for AC, power windows, etc... basically stuff I don't want to deal with or am not qualified to do.

Laters,

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Something just smells a little fishy to me.

Think if it were someone who didn't like the tech. Granted, it would be difficult to obtain all the information that he knew: "THE CUSTOMER'S COMPLAINT WAS LACK OF POWER AND POOR GAS MILEAGE" and such but the licesne plate wouldn't be.
What really gets me is that he gives just the right type of information to get caught: "HOPE SHE DIDNT HAVE A HIDDEN CAMERA IN THAT CAR...... GET THIS, HER PLATES SAY "**** **"
and about the camera, that's just a bit weird.

It could happen - there are those types of idiots out there. It just reeks of bad tuna to me though.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, completely misunderstood what this thread was about from the title. I thought it was about the Brit court case from a few years ago in which a guy was found with his pants down crouched behind the exhaust pipes of a sports car ... ;)
And yes, it really did happen.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Yikes, Andrew! The guy was taking the tendency to refer to cars as "she", and making it WAY too literal!

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Needless to say, I have the dealership by the balls on this one. I am accepting NO less than six figures on my lawsiut. Will be settled by year's end.
LOL, prepare to be disappointed. You received no lasting personal injury as a result of some idiots having taken your car out. The most you can reasonably expect is for repairs to the car to be done for free and for the people responsible to be terminated from their jobs.

Tim Kilbride

Stunt Coordinator
Josh,
Sorry to disappoint you...but my we have already received an out or court settlement offer from them that is in the amount of $112,000.00 (a third goes to attorneys). The sticking point is that they want me to sign a waiver releasing them from any further liability, should I bring any of my vehicles there in the future, and they (the dealership) are admitting NO wrongdoing. We are also waiting for a response from the Regional Office of Ford concerning my request that they forfeit the SVT certification (apparently this is pretty hard to achieve among dealerships) and I want an ad in the local Sunday paper (car section) explaining what happened (the paper has already done a story on this, my neighbor is a photographer for the paper).

I'm a patient man...we'll see who blinks first, I have nothing to lose here...

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
To punish and to set an example. There doesn't have to be a personal injury for there to be a need for punishment and setting an example.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks