Tati's Playtime 70 mm Walter Reade Theatre (NYC) thru 1/5/05

Discussion in 'Movies' started by rich_d, Jan 2, 2005.

1. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    If you live in the tri-state area, Tati's Playtime is playing at the Walter Reade Theatre (Lincoln Center) through 1/5/05. It is the new remastered 70 mm print.

I didn't know about this so perhaps other Tati fans may have missed this as well. If it helps merely one person it was worth the post. [​IMG]

Link/showtimes:

http://www.filmlinc.com/wrt/programs...4/playtime.htm

2. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

I saw it last night and was completely floored. I totally loved it. The restaurant sequence is one for the ages.

The sound was particularly spectacular.

There was a big, appreciative audience.

I think that Tati owes a big debt to Chaplin's Modern Times -- I think that Playtime uses many elements of Chaplin's masterpiece. In turn Truffaut obviously borrowed heavily from Playtime in Bed and Board to the extent of using Billy Kearns' character wholesale and even throwing in a M. Hulot cameo.

I think that today is the last day -- so run don't walk to the Walter Reade if you still haven't seen it.

Ted

3. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

I missed this when it rolled through Toronto, but recently saw it on rented DVD (I think it was a Spanish release). Decent enough transfer, but man do I wish I had caught it in the theatre! I've never seen anything quite like this film...I loved it.

Anyone know if this new print indicates a forthcoming DVD release (since Criterion's is OOP)?

4. rich_d

rich_d Cinematographer

Rich
    "Anyone know if this new print indicates a forthcoming DVD release (since Criterion's is OOP)?"

Yes. Criterion is on record as working on a new DVD release. The timing for release is anyone's guess.