What's new

Talk me into the H/K 7200 (1 Viewer)

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently auditioning this thing at home and it sounds pretty good. I have never been a real follwer of H/K products but all this talk about the great deal the 7200 is got me going. I have a Yam RX-V740. It's going down to the family room for my wife to play with. Not enough power and a poor match for my new PSB's.
Had the Denon 5803 for a few days to play with. Great improvement over the Yam and proved to me that my speakers could actually sound good in my room. I was worried there for a while. Much fuller sound and impact. Vocals were smooth and imaging was nice. Picked up quite a bit on detail in stereo listening than I have heard before. Only problem is that it cost more than I am willing to part with.
The H/K 7200 is a real beast. You can tell the extra power is there. The sound is really clear and strong. The vocals are not as smooth as the Denon and when the volume goes up the vocals seem to break up a bit. For movies I really like this piece. It draws you into the soundfield a bit more than the Denon does.

Are there any drawbacks to this 7200 I am missing? I have seen a few post about possible reliability issues with H/K in general. Have there been any problems with the 7200 in particular? Lastly, is there another receiver in this price range ( now $800) that I should listen to before I pull the trigger. I have thought about the Denon 3803 but it will be quite a bit of trouble to put my hands on one to try. I have also considered NAD products but will not be able to try before I buy. I'm thinking I should just get this H/K and put my pondering to rest.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Although H/K is not my first choice for receivers I would JUMP all over it for that price. It is H/K's flagship and you WILL NOT find a better receiver for that price (unless it is used). I would make sure that it is new in the box though and from an authorized dealer. H/K seems to be very popular among non-authorized dealers. If it is a refurb you definately want it from an authorized dealer. Check the H/K website for a list of authorized on-line dealers. If you like it I would keep it. It will be very good for a long time and the amps are very capable and strong. If you are not happy with vocals though and the way it sounds at higher volumes you may want to consider something else.
You are right, H/K does seem to have more issues when it comes to quality than other brands but if it is covered under waranty I would not make too much fuss. Usually when something goes wrong it will go wrong in the first year.
Like I said, H/K is not one of my favorite receivers out there but for 800$ you will kick yourself for not getting it. If I had 800$ I would get it just so I could brag about the great deal I got :)!!!!

Brandon D

Agent
I ordered teh 7200 last night from an authorized dealer for 788. I am very excited about this beast. Just consider that this is unit is like 8mo's old and when it hit the shelves it retailed for over 2 grand. Considering that I'm having regrets for robbing the place I just ordered my 7200 from :D

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it didn't take much to sway me. I just ordered it and it will be here Thursday. I will play with my loaner at home until then. I don't think I can do any harm at this price. OneCall is clearing them out for $836 and change with shipping. Now to get some new speaker wires.

Brandon D

Agent
yup,

that's where i got mine. They called me this morning to verify my address and told me that I would recieve my new reciever on thurs.

I can't wait. Next purchase will be 3 pairs of monitor audio s1's :D

Dustin Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I've had mine for about a week now, but I can't give any kind of good/bad review since it's my first A/V receiver(nothing to compare it to).

So far I'm pretty happy with it. One thing that would be cool is if you could see the on screen display while you are watching a movie. I don't know if any manufacture offers that though.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Dustin- Be glad that their is no on screen display. This would just be a possible source for video noise and maybe a reason your receiver doesn't have this feature to begin with. A remote with a lit display would be nice though.

Display is on screen with 7200.I think it just kills the feed to put up the menu.Im really debating the receiver also,only reason i havent bought it yet is the weak video switching.If i was more a stereo guy i would have bought it already.

Brandon D

Agent
The video section is good. not perfect, but good.

if you want better switching - get an audio athority (made here in my hometown of lexingon ky) automatic sensing component switcher.

Hope you find your way soon. I'm a big hometheater buff and I don't find the video section that limiting. I'm going to purchase what I described above.

Good luck man!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks