What's new

System Set-up Question re: cable connections (1 Viewer)

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
Very basic HT system: Panasonic 31" TV, Marantz 880Mk2 Reciev er, JVC dvd player, and Dish 4900. I am having audio issues with the dish and i want to see if there is a good online link to "optimum" hook-up suggestions for this system. I have it set-up this way: Sat has s-video connections going directly to the TV. Sat has optical connection going to the Marantz for audio and the DVD has dig coax going to the Marantz as well for Video and Audio with a s-video cable connecting the marantz to the tv for dvd picture. I have no issues with the dvd player only with the Sat. While changing channels i lose the audio causing me to turn off the sat and turn it back on. So while i take the system apart this weekend should i switch around any of my exsisting connections? Do i have an extra s-video cable in the system? can i improve my set-up???
thanks!!

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
I see two possible explanations for your problem. Either the Sat box is defective or the receiver loses the lock on the optical line because of something that the Sat box does when switching channels. If the sat box has a digital coax out, try that and see if problem persists. See if you can take the box in and duplicate the problem for the dealer. Meanwhile, to deek from going nuts, hook the sat to the receiver with stereo analog RCA lines. Unless the sat supports 5.1, you won't lose anything.

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I believe it is a "locking" issue as i watch my reciever display 2/0 or 2/1 most of the time but when it loses the volume it displays 2/OPT, I do not have a dig coax on the bacxk of the dish or i would be using it instead of this dreaded optical connection. I can set my preferences to PCM only on the Dsih Sat and be good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks