Swan Diva 2.1s vs. PAradigm Reference Studio 20s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone compared these two speakers. Currently, I use Studio 60s as my mains and studio 20s as my surrounds. The 20s sound fantastic -- I tested them out as mains as well. I am looking for a pair of bookshepf speakers for my bedroom system and was wondering if anyone ever compared the Swan Diva 2.1 vs. the Studio 20s. For what it is worth, I can get the 20s for ~$520 and the Swans go for around $400.

Thanks,

Allan

2. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

I listened to the Reference line when I was auditioning speakers. I really liked the Paradigm 20's, 40's, and 100's.

I A/B'd the 20's with N805's and some NHT line that I can't remember. I personally would have chosen the B&W's over the Paradigm's for their musicality. To me that is imaging, clarity and soundstage. I didn't care for the NHT's for music. They were hard on my ears.I ended up buying the Diva's for their value, and believe that they are voiced more like the B&W's than the Paradigms. Unfortunately I have never been able to compare the Diva's to the B&W or Paradigm side by side. For $120.00 difference, I would go with the one you are most comfortable with. The build quality and sonic characteristics of all these speakers is outstanding. For a bedroom system, either one would pull it's own weight for either HT or music. In the end, for me, the Diva's are just too cool, and I wouldn't give them up for either the Paradigm's or B&W's.

Russ

3. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Russell. I guess though what my point really is is as follows: I have a pair of Studio 20s (rears home theater). I have never heard the Swan Diva's 2.1. I am thinking about getting the Swan Divas for the bedroom. how do they compare to the Studio 20s? Since I can't hear them, are they comparable?

THanks,

Allan

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Allan,
    This post will probably make little sense, but I personally hope you opt toward the Swans, even though I don't own either speaker. The reason I say this is because I too have different systems in 3 different rooms and I love seeing/hearing a different sound that is unique to that particular room. And besides, I just absolutely love the looks of the Swans. They are truly beautiful. I think they would aesthetically add to any room decor. I'm sure they have a return policy if you should decide you really don't like the sound. Here's a link to a recent review comparing them to other similar speakers. Good luck. One way or the other, you will have one fine bedroom system.
    Link:http://www.cheaphometheater.com/

5. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Allan,

Are they comparable? Yes, I think they are both very good speakers and either could be used as mains in a mid sized system. However from my memory, they have two completely different sounds. The Diva's have a larger soundstage and are airier due to that amazing wide dispersion tweeter. The 20's sound like they have a metal tweeter(?) of some kind that was a little brighter than the 2.1. They both have similar bass extension, very tight and not overly exaggerated. The Paradigm's bass is more pronounced and may extend a little lower. The Paradigm cabinets seem to be deader so maybe less resonance on the low frequency, but the Diva has a more interesting design, and while the Paradigm cabinets are solid and well built, I have never seen cabinet work as exquisite as the Diva's. I think they both have interesting looking drivers with the grills removed, but the Diva's yellowish ones are pretty cool looking.

Russ

6. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Hey are the 20s better for rears or the 40s better than rears. The 20s and 40s will be what I'm looking at when I consider getting monopole rear centers as well as when I'm shopping for mains for the tv upstairs.

7. Allan

Allan Stunt Coordinator

I thought the 20s were sufficient for the rears. Being that rears are used much less than mains, I couldn't justify the extra expense of the 40s.

Allan

8. Ed C

Ed C Stunt Coordinator

I'll echo Russel's impressions of the Studio 20 vs. the Diva 2.1. The 20s are very capable speakers however I also preferred the sound of the B&W (602v2 in my case) over the Studio 20s. I felt that the B&W had a wider sound stage. The 20s seemed to line all the "voices" in a straight line.

The 2.1's are, in my opinion, more musical than the 20s. As a bedroom system, either would do well.