What's new

Swan Diva 2.1s vs. PAradigm Reference Studio 20s (1 Viewer)

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone compared these two speakers. Currently, I use Studio 60s as my mains and studio 20s as my surrounds. The 20s sound fantastic -- I tested them out as mains as well. I am looking for a pair of bookshepf speakers for my bedroom system and was wondering if anyone ever compared the Swan Diva 2.1 vs. the Studio 20s. For what it is worth, I can get the 20s for ~$520 and the Swans go for around $400.

Thanks,

Allan

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
I listened to the Reference line when I was auditioning speakers. I really liked the Paradigm 20's, 40's, and 100's.

I A/B'd the 20's with N805's and some NHT line that I can't remember. I personally would have chosen the B&W's over the Paradigm's for their musicality. To me that is imaging, clarity and soundstage. I didn't care for the NHT's for music. They were hard on my ears.I ended up buying the Diva's for their value, and believe that they are voiced more like the B&W's than the Paradigms. Unfortunately I have never been able to compare the Diva's to the B&W or Paradigm side by side. For $120.00 difference, I would go with the one you are most comfortable with. The build quality and sonic characteristics of all these speakers is outstanding. For a bedroom system, either one would pull it's own weight for either HT or music. In the end, for me, the Diva's are just too cool, and I wouldn't give them up for either the Paradigm's or B&W's.

Russ

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Russell. I guess though what my point really is is as follows: I have a pair of Studio 20s (rears home theater). I have never heard the Swan Diva's 2.1. I am thinking about getting the Swan Divas for the bedroom. how do they compare to the Studio 20s? Since I can't hear them, are they comparable?

THanks,

Allan

DanaA

Screenwriter
Allan,
This post will probably make little sense, but I personally hope you opt toward the Swans, even though I don't own either speaker. The reason I say this is because I too have different systems in 3 different rooms and I love seeing/hearing a different sound that is unique to that particular room. And besides, I just absolutely love the looks of the Swans. They are truly beautiful. I think they would aesthetically add to any room decor. I'm sure they have a return policy if you should decide you really don't like the sound. Here's a link to a recent review comparing them to other similar speakers. Good luck. One way or the other, you will have one fine bedroom system.
Link:http://www.cheaphometheater.com/

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Allan,

Are they comparable? Yes, I think they are both very good speakers and either could be used as mains in a mid sized system. However from my memory, they have two completely different sounds. The Diva's have a larger soundstage and are airier due to that amazing wide dispersion tweeter. The 20's sound like they have a metal tweeter(?) of some kind that was a little brighter than the 2.1. They both have similar bass extension, very tight and not overly exaggerated. The Paradigm's bass is more pronounced and may extend a little lower. The Paradigm cabinets seem to be deader so maybe less resonance on the low frequency, but the Diva has a more interesting design, and while the Paradigm cabinets are solid and well built, I have never seen cabinet work as exquisite as the Diva's. I think they both have interesting looking drivers with the grills removed, but the Diva's yellowish ones are pretty cool looking.

Russ

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Hey are the 20s better for rears or the 40s better than rears. The 20s and 40s will be what I'm looking at when I consider getting monopole rear centers as well as when I'm shopping for mains for the tv upstairs.

Allan

Stunt Coordinator
I thought the 20s were sufficient for the rears. Being that rears are used much less than mains, I couldn't justify the extra expense of the 40s.

Allan

Ed C

Stunt Coordinator
I'll echo Russel's impressions of the Studio 20 vs. the Diva 2.1. The 20s are very capable speakers however I also preferred the sound of the B&W (602v2 in my case) over the Studio 20s. I felt that the B&W had a wider sound stage. The 20s seemed to line all the "voices" in a straight line.

The 2.1's are, in my opinion, more musical than the 20s. As a bedroom system, either would do well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks