What's new

SVS in Customs ; ) (1 Viewer)

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Call received today, (Friday), to be shipped Monday!

(20 - 39 PCi)

Pretty damn quick considering only shipped on Wednesday.

(I thought last weekend was the "Long" weekend)

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Update... I jumped the gun... not being delivered from Customs til Wednesday...:frowning:
Still...
Shipped from SVS last Wednesday, Thursday was a holiday...
...One week turnover through Customs is much better than anticipated...:D
... Additional charges in Cndn Funds approximately $110.00 to cover tax and brokerage.
For other Canadians, total price delivered for a 20-39 PCi is $1,025.00. This of course doesn't include PST (n/a in Alberta). Use this for your budget if considering alternatives. I think you would be hard pressed to find a comparable sub for about $935.00 plus taxes?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

Keep SVS in the loop on this too, if the sub seems to be stuck at any one point thru the process we might be able to give it a push with a few phone calls for you,

And of course let me know if you have any setup/calibration questions once the sub finally arrives.

TV

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Will do Tom, thanks again... so far... so excellent... one more day but I've a commitment tomorrow night damnit! (or did she say I'm going to be committed?):D
(my only fear is the fear of UPS itself:frowning: )

Nick V

Second Unit
The pricing seems so ridiculous for us Canadians. I've been shopping for a sub for awhile now, and I've been contemplating the SVS' but it's so hard when the price you'll end up paying is just about twice the price that you see on the website. :angry:
Oh well, I can't seem to be able to find anything that can best it below $1000.00 CDN, so it looks like I'll have my SVS by the end of the summer, despite the price.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Not sure Nick, but if the servo15 can be cheaper than a PCi...that would be a tough sub to pass up...esp if the local dealer offers respectable support.

TV

Cam S

Screenwriter
Ya the Servo15 is a serious option, as well as the PW2200, but you can't go wrong with either.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Where are you in Canada. Have yet to find someone near Niagara Falls with a svs.
Edmonton (not exactly close, "eh?"):D
Nick, I'll post final costs once fully confirmed.
I heard the Servo 15 is being (already?) discontinued? Not likely to be able to field it for approximately $1,000 tax in anyway.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Nope, I SERIOUSLY doubt you could get a servo-15 for $1000 taxes in!

I get good deal on paradigm and the best price I was quoted was $1500 taxes in. So about $1300 CDN before tax.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Well... guess what arrived on Wednesday afternoon?
That and the demo H/K 520 had to be replaced (mine came in, manufactured in May 2002)
First Impressions...
Great Packaging,
Solid Build,
Good thing the wife doesn't have cats :D
Instructions...
Decent, but would be nice for the layperson if SVS had a diagram of the amp and referred to the different areas by a number scheme. (I figured it out no problem but SVS could probably stop some emails coming their way with this):)
Size/Weight
As expected... (well for me, the rest of the family had a lot of WTH's);)
Calibration...
As I had to recalibrate the entire system with the new H/K this of course became chore. Monitor 9's on the frontstage and with the 6" drivers and 46Hz low end, I chose to cross all at 60 (run large) and set LFE + L/R for low end. Playing back and forth with this still.
I set the amp at the recommended setting of approximately 1:30 (between 1/2 and 3/4)
H.T.
+ 2 to 3 Db is more than enough in DD, DTS, Logic 7 or any of the internal schemes.
Music.
Depending on the music, -1 to +1 Db's.
Performance...
Ummmmm.... Holy Shit! :D :D :D :D :D (say no more)
I tried to find a copy of AVIA or Vid Essentials... no luck, all sold out. So I picked up a cheap Rat Shack Allsop Video / Audio Calibration - Laser Cleaning Set. Good price, very very basic.
The one good thing the set had was a tone sweep starting at 120 Hz downward.
As this approached 60 Hz I scrambled for the remote to turn it down... good thing cuz when it panned from 40Hz - 20Hz, the ears started to hurt. At -15Db on the AVR 520, I am getting peaks in the low 90's, so I started at -27 dB...
...and during the low frequency pan, luckily it was down around - 38dB
When it hit about 23 Hz, the old wind up chime clock began to chime on its own. The proximity of this is straight across the room in the right corner, through the HT setup, with the sub in the left corner. This proved to me dispersion is working well beyond expectations, and placement is correct. (2 feet off of back wall, left corner)
Anyway, the BIGGEST concern I have with any sub, is not the ability to perform, it's the blending and an ability to "Hide". I hate HT where there's a whack of LFE, and you can pinpoint the source (localize the sub).
Suffice to say, the 20 - 29 PCi is seamless, and hides exceptionally well. No need for a second sub (til I knock the wall out next year and make the HT room even bigger)
This one does it all baby!:D :D :D
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Oh, almost forgot... from start to finish, the delivered price in Canadian Funds, was

$915.00 - Purchase and Shipping
$ 60.40 - Broker charge
------------------------
$975.40 plus taxes. Taxes are only on the unit, not the delivery costs so...

$ 58.64 - GST (tax)

Oh yeah, no duty (Made in the U.S. of A!)

Pretty tough to find any sub in Canada for less than $1,000 that comes remotely close to this puppy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks