What's new

Surrounds farther than mains (1 Viewer)

Robert Cobb

Agent
I'm a little confused about the delay settings that I should be using for this situation. Due to a corner arrangement, the primary seating location is about 7 feet closer to the main speakers than it is to the surrounds. From what I understand, this means I should delay the mains (and center) by about 7ms. Of course, I can't delay the mains on my receiver (do any receivers allow this?).
Anyhow, the default delay setting for DD surrounds on my receiver is 19ms. This is a Yamaha RX-V1200 that lists surround delay settings separately for each DSP. I've reviewed the information at Dolby's web site (http://www.dolby.com/tech/co.br.0103.DDFAQ.html#q19 figure 20-3) and it leads me to believe that I should have no delay programmed. This still leaves me confused. In order to have "no delay", should I leave the 19ms default parameter alone or should I reduce it to zero? Perhaps it should be 12ms? I'm so confused!
Is it rare to have surround speakers farther than the front soundstage? Does it cause other problems?

Matt Meyer

Stunt Coordinator
In my Outlaw manual it says it is the difference in the distance from the front to the listing position and the surrounds and the listen postion and if the difference is 0 or negative set the delay to 0

Hope that helps,

Matt

Matt Meyer

Stunt Coordinator
I don't remember, I thought they were all at 0. But I don't honestly remember.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks