What's new

Surround modes help (1 Viewer)

DavidAM

Second Unit
I got my HK 520 a little over a week ago. Now that I've been playing around with it, I have a couple of questions on DLPII, Logic 7, Neo6, etc. Let's start with DLPII.

DLPII

First off, my 520 has DLPII Music, Movie and Emulation. Before I had firsthand experience with DLPII, it was my understanding that it takes ANY 2 channel source and converts it to 5 channels. If this is right, why doesn't any of the modes convert my regular TV signal to 5 channels? What I get is a nice 2 channel sound on the Music setting and an extremely low 2 channel sound when using Movie and Emulation for my TV signal. Now keep in mind I don't have a center channel speaker yet, so it could be that the center channel should be playing at a regular volume and the 2 fronts are playing more as fill in. The thing here is that I'm still confused why my rear surrounds aren't playing ANYTHING. I thought DLPII's whole purpose was to make 2 channel signals into 5 channels so I should be getting rear surround sound I would think. The same thing applies when playing FM music, but when I play a cd, DLPII sounds wonderful and plays surround sound when in the Music selection so I know its decoding like it should on cd's, but not on TV or FM radio? Is this right?

Logic7

Logic7 offers 3 modes also....Enhancement, Cinema and Music. Enhancement does a pretty good job of playing my TV signal, radio and xbox in full surround. The cinema on Logic7 is like the Movie on DLPII where I can barely hear anything unless I crank it up almost to max volume (again this could be because I don't have a center channel playing which would probably get most of the signal). The good thing here is although it is very low volume, I am getting a rear signal that I'm not getting when trying DLPII. The rear surrounds are also pretty low when in Music mode, but I can hear them and I actually like Enchanement mode better so I just use that when listening to the radio or TV. And its just dawning on me that I haven't tested Logic7 Music with a cd so I can't comment on how that works right now. I like DLPII alot with cd's so I'm happy with that mode. Does it seem like Logic7 is working correctly for me? Enchancement sounds decent for a regular TV signal and pretty awesome when playing my xbox (which isn't hooked up in 5.1 yet because I haven't bought the A/V pack yet).

Neo:6

Basically that has 2 modes and both are very low and I have no clue what its supposed to do. I bought this receiver for DLPII and Logic7 so Neo is just extra and I'm not concentrating on it too much. If anyone wants to comment on its performance and tell me why it has a very low volume, then I'm all ears, but I'm not too worried about it.

So, after all that, is everything working correctly? Was I expecting too much from DLPII? I just expected FM radio and TV signals to be a pretty convincing 5 channel surround from everything I heard about it and I'm not getting any rear sound unless its in Music mode off of a cd. I haven't tested DVD or VHS yet. I did use the SPL meter on the remote to calibrate my speakers so I don't think its that the rears are turned down too much. And if it matters, my cable comes from the stereo outputs on my cable box to the Video 1 on the receiver. I thought maybe it was the way I was hooked up but since I'm having the problem with FM radio too, I'm doubting its that. Any input and good conversation is greatly appreciated!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If this is right, why doesn't any of the modes convert my regular TV signal to 5 channels?
Are you sure it's a stereo signal? Just because a show features the DolbySurround logo doesn't necessarily mean your reception is delivering true stereo. What you're describing sounds very much like a mono signal.
M.

DavidAM

Second Unit
Well you know, I was just assuming since it's coming out of my cable box as right and left channels, that it would be 2 channel stereo so honestly, I don't know if its stereo or mono. If it is mono, then DLPII would not turn it into 5.1? And what about my FM signal, that's coming straight from the receiver itself. Why isn't that being converted to 5.1? Should it be or was I wrong in thinking that DLPII converted TV and FM signals to 5.1?

DavidAM

Second Unit
I thought these were pretty basic questions for someone with DLPII experience (esp. with the pro's around here). Can no one shed some light on this for me? I know the post is long and its alot of detail, but to break it down real quick,
Is DLPII supposed to work in 5 channels with a regular TV and FM signal? If so, read my original post for more detail on what I'm experiencing :) Thank you, come again.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
DavidM - I've got the Onkyo 696, which has DPLII. Here's my experience and understanding.
DPLII takes a two-channel (stereo) signal, and "steers" the signal into tive different channels. But the placement and strength of the signals in the different channels, especially the rears, is dependent on the original signal.
- Mono signal is center channel only
- Stereo, both channels in phase, will be L & R only, I think.
- Signals encoded for Dolby Pro Logic generally have the greatest channel coverage, sometimes with full-strength rear channel sounds.
My experience is that most TV shows create little surround action. The exceptions are shows that already have a vibrant score, like any Star Trek (or sci-fi) show, West Wing, Alias, etc. I don't think the news is ever anything but L/R stereo.
Various video games provide obvious surround effects; on my N64 both Rogue Squadron and Jet Force Gemini have a lot of rear-channel action.
With music, the most obvious surround effects comes form songs that have strong ambient effects, noticeable in stereo mode as well. Track 9 on Linkin Park's CD (it's a synth-instrumental), "Desert Rose" on Sting's Brand New Day CD, and various trance songs give DPLII much fodder for the various speakers.
Generally, it's mixed. Usually pretty subtle or low-key. But sometimes I get very strong surround effects from DPLII.
I hope that helps :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Should it be or was I wrong in thinking that DLPII converted TV and FM signals to 5.1?
You have the right idea, but you're not saying it right. "5.1" means a signal has six discrete channels of sound. Nothing short of a professional remix can create such channels from a 2.0 mix, but the effect can be simulated, with varying degrees of success, by such decoding schemes as DPL2, Logic7 and DTS:Neo6.
M.

DavidAM

Second Unit
Ok, thanks guys. That helped clear it up for me. Knowing that it works to varying degrees depending on the source makes sense. I just wanted confirmation that I was experiencing what it is supposed to do. Like I said, I just assumed everything I watched or listened to would be in a very good simulation of 5 channels, but I guess it doesn't work THAT good! Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks