What's new

Surprise-Home Theater Advice (1 Viewer)

gladdin

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Hey, I feel bad adding to the repertoire of advice seekers who frequent this site(who rarely have something to offer) -which seems to be the norm around here...but the fact is I do need some help and am wondering if you well informed chaps' could take pity.

I have 2000-2500 dollars to spend on a television and home theater setup-I know, not much, but that's my budget. I will be moving into a small 1 bedroom apartment (efficiency) and want something that will enhance my experience with respect to space limitations and close-by neighbors. I'm not completely ignorant and have done a moderate amount of research-here's what I've come up with. Also, a big factor to consider is I'm a gamer-Xbox 360 mostly-so enhancing that experience is pivotal-best quality for a gamer at the price would be great.

Panasonic TH-58PX600U 58-Inch Plasma HDTV -$1700(refurbished)
Denon DHT-487DV (*est. $610) or the 7.1 onkyo HTIB

I know there's a lot of negative thoughts on HTIB around here but I think it might be best considering my budget. If I'm wrong please let me know as I do want a quality system. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. THANKS!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The Denon looks nice. One drawback is it doesn't have any HDMI inputs. So that'll make your connection a little more complicated; and you'll probably want a programmable remote. Also, you won't have access to the top end audio from HD disks.

It looks like the Denon is a 5.1 system , not a 7.1. I have no problem with a 5.1; but just so you are aware.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
That's a big plasma for $1700. But it's doesn't leave much for the rest of the system. The problem with htib's in that price range is the speakers/subwoofer. The Onkyo 6100 is hdmi 1.3 so it does DolbyTrue-HD and DTS-MA but how much better would they sound thru those speakers? Plus, a BlueRay player would put you over budget.

Another option is a factory refurb like this Denon/Boston Acoustics package from ecost.com for $289, a Denon authorised dealer. Add a refurb BluRay player like this Sony for $339 or this Samsung for $229 and you would have a nice system. Of course, refurbs aren't without their risks, but these come with a factory warranty. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks