What's new

surge strip db protection (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

i have an isobar tripplite surge strip. i noticed that it has labels next to the plugs.

one set states "first isolated filter bank (50dB protection)". the second set states "second isolated filter bank (75dB protection)"

so is there a preferred method of what goes into what bank? i was thinking the more stringent stuff (my cpu) should go into the higher dB bank?

or is this just a bunch of hooey?

thx,

ted

[edit] oops...i just realized i posted in the wrong forum...i think i meant this for the tweaks forum. oh well, i guess this place would work too...mod's feel free to move if necessary.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Ted,

You know the drill: What's the actual model here (so we can look it up!)

On the surface, it appears you are using an A/V surge protector, since the various dB filtering typically applies to removing levels of AC wiring-induced RF/EMI or electric circuit "noise."

Such noise filtering isnt applicable to a computer, I should think. What's important with PCs of cse is having telwire modem in/out surge terminals (as applicable).

bill

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hey bill -

i know...i should have posted the model number. what a flake! :)

i actually have two of them. one is a 4-socket, the other is a 6. i'll check and let ya know.

thx!

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
The TL Isobar 4 Ultra seems to be a "mighty-mite" or solidly built unit for a home computer station.

More for A/V aps, each of the two duplex banks is isolated from the other to minimize cross-talk, or electrical backwash from attached analog/digital components as they cycle on and off.

For a computer station (and given your situation with electromagnetic concerns on the monitor) I'd plug the monitor into the bank with highest AC line noise filtering (typically the ones closest to the incoming power cord) and then the computer tower into the other bank.

In the end it may not make any difference -- after all, a decibel reducing filter applies to analog sound, doesnt it -- so the effect on vidfeo presentation has to be seen to assess any affect.

I dont think it matters for other peripherals like the printer or scanner. And you may need to plug in a modem 12-volt wallwart, and a computer powered sound system too...Pretty soon a 4-plug unit gets crowded.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
bill - thanks for your advice.
And you may need to plug in a modem 12-volt wallwart, and a computer powered sound system too...Pretty soon a 4-plug unit gets crowded.
ha! no issues there. i actually have three power-strips under my desk, totally somewhere around 16 plugs. all but two of the plugs are unused. i must say i'm happy with my home's electrical oomph!

thanks for taking the time bill - i appreciate it.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
ted,

in reflection to yr origl thot, I dont think it makes any difference in applying AUDIO noise level filtering to a video monitor...I may be off tho...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks