What's new

Surge knocked out my center channel. (1 Viewer)

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
We had a storm last Wednesday that killed our power a few times. The next day, I noticed that I was not getting any sound out of my center channel speaker. I hooked up another speaker to the center output on the receiver, and verified that it was indeed a problem with the receiver. I had a $10 power strip that was supposed to protect from surges. Maybe it would've been worthwhile to shell out a few more bucks for a better surge protector...

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone knows how difficult (or expensive) it would be to fix something like this. I didn't know how common it was to lose just one channel.

The other 4 channels work fine, and I have an old receiver rigged up to handle the center channel for now, so I will just have to do some calibrations to level-match the two receivers at a few different SPL's (75 dB, 70 dB, 65 dB, etc.). I really don't need the center channel for music or TV viewing, so I'll just make due for movies and multi-channel music, but if it's a simple $50 repair, I'd be willing to get it done.

Thanks for any advice.
--Nathan

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
Most definately. The higher the joule rating on the surge protector the better. It'll give its life to save your equipment.

As for fixing the receiver, someone may be able to depending on how extensive the damage is inside and what actually was fried. The problem you're likely going to run into with just a repair though is you don't know if the lightning weakened other components inside. Two months down the line something else could give out.

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
Hope your unfortunate incident puts the wise on people who are under the impression that any surge protector does the job; no need to pay extra for the Panamax or Monsters. I my younger days when I worked retail, I saw countless stereo and computers come in for repairs. The customer kept saying they thought the surge strip was enough. The extra dollars for the Panamax/Monster goes towards more solid clamping on spikes and the abilitily to disconnect during a catastraphic surge. The extra protection is not inexpensive, but considering everything that is plugged into them (HDTV, processor, amps, dvd, cd, tuner,tape etc)it is cheap insurance plus you get their voodoo conditioning to boot.

Surge damage is usually more extensive than you think it is. A lot of the components would have to be replaced. Maybe less expensive to replace than repair. If you had extended warranty, it will cover for surge.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Not sure on what it'll cost you but the couple of places that I've dealt with in the past (just general electronic repairs) have given me free estimates so a few phone calls are in order. Simply because your power went on and off a few times does not necessarily mean you got a bona fide surge. The problem may be as trivial as a broken lead from the power supply to the speaker outputs. If by luck, this is still under warranty, I'd take advantage of that first.

Out of curiousity, what else do you have connected to your receiver? For example, if it was a surge that knocked out your center channel (only a qualified examination can determine that) and your TV was plugged into the unit as well as to your receiver, but the incoming cable was not, then a surge can come in by the back door. Same thing with your sub. If it's on a separate outlet not connected to a surge protector then that's another backdoor.

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
Thanks for your responses, guys.

Chu, I have everything connected to surge protectors, except for the incoming cable. I will look into buying a better surge protector and make sure it provides protection for a coax connection.

I talked to my cousin this weekend, and he said he had a couple storms that ruined most of his electronics, and he ended up getting surge protection for his whole house through the electric company, which I have seen discussed on this forum. That sounds like the way to go.

Thanks again.
--Nathan

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
That sounds like the way to go.
Some electrical companies just do the incoming AC, others do it all, others still option it out. See how they play it where you are. For more info Nathan, search for "whole house" under my name.

Users who are viewing this thread