What's new

Surface measurement using a Blu-ray laser pick up (1 Viewer)

veggiop

Grip
Real Name
veggiop
For my final year project I propose to use the Blu-ray laser unit from a disk drive (something like a KEM-410ACA, without all the problems of using a sony part) to measure surface roughness. I will relate the proportional analog signal from the voice coil motor that focuses the laser dot on the surface of a disk to the a profile of the micro peaks and valleys on the surface. Or possibly the focus error signal. . I will need a stand alone power up sequence for the product and will have to control the motor and get the laser into auto focusing mode. Do you have any suggestions on a unit I can buy that I will be able to get some non-standard technical support with. Also I will need to have easy access to full schematics including pinout configurations.

Ralphie_B

Stunt Coordinator
Intriguing idea - using Blu-Ray optics is a smart move, as they very well-understood, and reference designs/parts kits may be available (Blu-Ray utilization is increasingly widespread, I could foresee a growing number of consumer products beyond just dedicated players starting to incorporate it).
The first company that comes to my mind is Oppo -- they are known for building enthusiast-friendly players, and seem to interact with their user base more than the megacorps (e.g. Sony, Samsung). Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks