What's new

Superman Director? (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
These contracts were signed back in 1998. I remember being in Pittsburgh on a consulting job, and the news was flush about Burton being in town scoping out locations to substitute Pittsburgh as Metropolis.

The deal fell apart, and Cage and Burton both got paid anyhow (upwards of $25 million for both, if the scuttlebutt is true.)

That is essentially true. Cage got a $20 million pay-or-play paycheck, meaning that if the project never got filmed, he still got paid. Burton got paid $5 million in a similar pay-or-play deal, and another $5 million was spent on pre-production, art production, location scouting, etc.So all in all, $30 million was spent and not one frame of film was shot. Thank goodness the film never got off the ground and into production.

Even more so, and I promise I'm not making this up, one evening back in '98 I heard a radio broadcast of a news report which stated, "Courteney Cox has been tapped to play Lois Lane opposite Nicolas Cage in the upcoming Superman film currently in production." So even back then it had already been mentioned that Cox was in the running for Lois Lane.

Even more, it had been suggested that Danny Elfman was going to do the music for the film. Thank goodness that didn't happen either.

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
whoa, just saw this thread after awhile, wanna clear some stuff up

Adam: I wasn't trying to be insulting--I was being literal--word is that Donner is more and more frequently forgetting where he's at and what he's doing from time to time. I forget where I read it, I believe it was in either Premiere or Movieline, but it wasn't one of those gossip column things, but an actual article--Donner is very old and he is showing a lot of the symptoms and signs of senility seriously creeping in.

Anyway, I'm hearing McG is still in the role, and Brendan Fraser is Supes--but no one's really said anything. if hte M.Night report is accurate, THAT is good.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Going back to the Burton/Cage story - I remember reading that they actually filmed test shots that Burton and WB sat down to look at.

Cage wore a Superman suit.It resembled the Batman armored suit. It was the traditional Supes costume but with darker blue and red colors.

Burton thought it looked ridiculous and it was then he realized the film wouldnt work the way they were conceiving it.

They had a deal that they got paid whether the film goes through or not-Im not sure of the amounts.

Preproduction of Supes has GOT to be at about 75 mil without a single peice of film shot yet.Theyve been working on this for about 10 years and its gone no where.

I just pray they dont use JJ Adams script. It should be burned as soon as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks