Superman Director?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Bruce_S, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Bruce_S

Bruce_S Second Unit

Does anyone who is going to direct the new Superman flick? Last I've heard, Brett Ratner (Rush Hour 1-2) took himself out and WB is going back to McG (Charlie's Angel 1-2). I haven't seen many McG movies that I've liked. CA was alright and I didn't bother with CA2.

Here's a crazy idea - WB should consider Peter Jackson to take over after he's done with King Kong. I don't see why not. I've been following this project since they announced Nick Cage was going to suit up - almost 5 yrs now.

I'm surprised WB haven't offer the Wachowski brothers this opportunity to restart this fraschise after their Matrix projects.

-bruce

2. Nick T Robot

Nick T Robot Supporting Actor

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Why can't they just let Kevin Smith direct his script? I still think Batman giving the eulogy at Superman's funeral was fucking brill' [​IMG]

4. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

Word is McG is out.

Kevin Smiths script got junked a LONG time ago, and it wasn't even really all that good. and if they're junking the JJ Abrams draft along with McG's directing, then there's no need to do Smith's script, because they're not going to handle the "Death" of Superman anymore.

Besides, Smith isn't a very good director. He's a great screenwriter, but he's a merely adequate director. Definitely not at all well suited to the kind of movie he wrote before Burton signed on. He's said as much himself.

I don't know if the WB has appraoched the Wachowski's yet or not, but it makes perfect sense. The Matrix are comic book movies/manga movies/anime movies. They get it. I'm not so sure they should write the screenplay, but they definitely have the visual sense and skill to bring Superman to life. You know who else would be a good choice? Joe Johnston. Very technically adept, and as October Sky and Rocketeer showed, he knows how to deal with his characters. At one point they had Wolfgang Petersen directing the World's Finest project--why not move him to just plain Superman? There's plenty of options WB has. I think Smith would probably be just as bad a choice as McG would be. Different reasons, of course, but just as bad

5. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Amen to that, Robert! I read that piece of junk called a "script" that Smith had written, and it was worthless from start to finish. It had no heart, no emotion, no humor to it at all. It was a pathetic piece of garbage. (As for Smith's "directorial" abilities, I wouldn't even dignify it by calling him "adequate", and for the sake of the moderators I'll just leave it at that.)

Now a good fan-based Superman script I read was the one that Alex Ford had written a couple of years back. This was designed to set up a new trilogy of films, and it had all of the heart, warmth, and even Superman in-jokes that such a script calls for. The WB missed the boat in selecting Ford's script from the get-go.

As for a good writer-director, certainly M. Night Shmayalan (sp?) qualifies. Another good one that comes to mind, and he could get it done and well under budget would be Robert Rodriguez. Still another one that comes to mind is Nicholas Meyer (Star Trek II and VI). His work is smart and visual, though it's been a while since I've seen him work on a film.

But whoever is picked by the WB, he's got to be one first-class writer and director who can bring the quality that is needed to a new Superman film. At least Mark Millar seems to think so; that's why he's keeping tight-lipped as to who it is.

6. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

You make a couple pretty good director picks as well, but I dunno about Rodriguez..I dunno, I think he's just a little too disjointed and as much as I hate to say it, a little too close to McG's style anymore. Not that he's as bad as McG--McG is TRYING to make movies like Robert Rodriguez does, but he fails miserably, but I don't know if Rodriguez's touch is what Superman needs. And I say that while touting "From Dusk Til Dawn" as one of my all time favorite horror flicks.

M.Night is nice, but he's lock stock and Disney--they won't let him out of contract to work on that. Nicholas Meyer probably won't ever be considered, either. Wachowskis are under contract to WB, so I'd think they'd move that way--but then again, maybe they've been having the problems they're having because they already ASKED the Wachowskis and they turned it down.

They've almost landed Michael Bay a couple times. Don't know how I feel about that.

But I don't think it needs to be a writer director. I think you need a writer, tho. and not necessarily a writer of action movies. Which is why I thought going to Smith was an alright idea. I think you need to nail the emotions first, and the action scenes will fix themselves, it's Superman. but get a good writer who understands characterization, and a quality director who isn't all flash and fast edits, and chances are we'll get a quality flick.

my only REAL worry is that they won't get Williams to do the score. Because a Superman movie WILL not work without the main titles that Williams wrote. it just won't.

7. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

8. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Well I liked it [​IMG]

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

10. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Not the Wachoswski's, they should give it to Robert Rodriguez. Why? Because they've already spent so much damn money on this thing through ten years of development that they need Rodriguez to come in and tell them he can do it for $29 million. Gotta respect a guy who works in Hollywood and actually refuses more money for a budget. It's the only way this thing has a chance of making money now.

11. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

12. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

"Smootchie Boochie...Superman!"

A line from the new Superman movie.....

SUPERMAN VS. BLUNTMAN & CHRONIC"

[​IMG]

13. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

15. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I agree with Chad. Robert Rodgriguez would be a good choice.

16. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

I still disagree with Rodriguez. He's too disjointed and slapdash. I just don't think that kind of filmmaking works with Superman. Not to say it doesn't work for certain types of movies, but I don't think it'll work with superman. Him working on the cheap is a plus in his favor, but I simply don't think he can make it and have it carry any weight.

As far as M Night goes--he's got a production deal with Disney, he has to make more movies with them to fulfill his obligation, much like Pixar, but unlike Pixar, M Night has no wish to leave the Mouse. I dont' know how many more he has to make, or if this next one called "The Woods" that he's putting together IS his last one, but I've read that in a couple interviews before, in Premiere and the like. He's at the House of Mouse until they seriously screw him over, and that's not happening.

I also agree with Adam--I don't really think a new Superman needs to be made. I don't think Donner is really a serious choice--the man is damn near senile, and he hasn't made a good movie since Maverick. He's made his share of movies since then, but none of them were any good. the best outcome would be for WB to just completely can Superman, write it off and say "The 70's movies were it"

Actually, THE BEST would be for WB to do what Fox is doing with Alien3 and go back and re-edit Superman II to Donner's specifications and then re-release both Superman and Superman II. THAT would be the move, right there.

17. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

The latest report is that M. Night has been mentioned as the proposed writer/director of mention for the Superman project. Jon Peters is out (yes!), Jerry Weintraub (Ocean's 11) is in, and reportedly Brendan Fraser is in the title role. Superman Homepage mentioned it through a link to SuperHeroHype.com.

http://www.superherohype.com

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Wow. If this is true, it means Warner Brothers is committed to not screwing around where Superman is concerned all across the company (the comics are getting a massive overhaul starting in January with a lot of A-list talent coming on board). I guess Smallville has woken them up to how valuable a property Superman is if you put some real effort into it.

19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

As much as I don't want this to happen, I DO think Brendan Fraiser (hair died black) could pull off the role.

20. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

If there's any truth at all in Kevin Smith's story, Jon Peters didn't know the character. He was making demands like no sissy pink costume, no flying and having him fight a giant spider.