What's new

Supergirl - Framing Errors (1 Viewer)

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Well, "Supergirls" was shot anamorphic Panavision, so the telecine operator overmatted the International Version. (Accounts for the diff between 2.35 and 2.40 presentations). Usually it's done to hide splices, etc. Not THAT much, unless the international source was fairly damaged.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
There is a title card before the "Director's Cut" version stating that it is from different elements located in Europe.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
That's because of the elements. The DIrector's cut was long assumed lost, but elements were found in a sealed cannister in London and it was restored from that. As they only had a single copy, they were stuck with whatever print problems it had. This is explained in the intro on the DVD.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm no expert...and I doubt this would make any difference, but it doesn't seem as if the comparisons are done at exactly the same frame of the film.

In the first shots, the tip of the thumb seems slightly larger in the first image.

In the second image the body seems to be in a slightly different position when compared to the tree directly behind it.

And in Image 3, in the second capture Supergirl is practically touching the rock while in the first capture there seems to be several inches between her hand and the rock.

This is probably nit-picky, but I was wondering if there might have been some minor camera movement that would account for some of the differences?

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
There are minor differences in framing, but no more than I would expect from two different cuts of the same film, since they went through a different set of hands from camera negative to print. None of them would cause me to say "WOW!!!".

And, friend, just a piece of advice: an 800*450 JPEG would look just fine at less than 1 MB. ;)

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
It's not your imagination. This was written up at The Aisle Seat's initial DVD review back in 2000:

"If there's a quibble I have with the transfer, it's that the matting is far too tight on the bottom, masking off a bit of the picture. This is especially evident when O'Toole's character takes some artistic license with an Argo City sculpture -- there's picture information at the bottom that's being matted out, and it's regrettable since the picture otherwise is pretty spectacular. The matting problem of the THX version is further evident when you compare it to the more-appropriately framed 2.35 look of the 138-minute "Director's Cut," contained on the second disc and exclusive to the Limited Edition set."

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/arti...Aisle_Seat.asp

It's pretty obvious the Anchor Bay "International Cut" DVD does have framing issues. It's over-matted and in several instances feels too tight, especially on the bottom portion of the frame.

I even bought the Japanese DTS DVD, hoping it'd have a different transfer, but it doesn't...

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The International Version is missing info on the left side as well. That doesn't have anything to do with overmatting.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Not just the left side....you didn't read my post. I said that if it was overmatted (on the top and bottom) that would have nothing to do with it being cropped on the left side, which it is.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The director's cut looks a lot sharper, too, and the colors are all different, though the color differences may be legit.

I disagree with some of the other posters here. I'm saying this cropping is pretty severe. The top and bottom shots are losing important info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks