What's new

Superbit: Other Region Releases (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
This is a thread listing all the Columbia/Tristar Superbit releases outside of Region 1 (US/Canada NTSC). This list will be updated as new information is available. Feel free to comment on any mistakes or omissions, or provide links to reviews, or just suggestions.

Japan - Region 2 NTSC
  • Bad Boys*
  • The Big Hit*+
  • The Bone Collector+
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula*+
  • Charlie's Angels*+
  • Close Encounters of the Third Kind
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon*+
  • Desperado*+
  • Dr. Strangelove
  • Easy Rider *NEW*
  • The Fast and the Furious+
  • A Few Good Men
  • Gattaca*+
  • Gladiator+
  • Glory
  • Hollow Man*+
  • In the Line of Fire
  • Jerry Maguire
  • Jumanji
  • Jurassic Park
  • Jurassic Park: The Lost World
  • Jurassic Park III
  • A Knight's Tale*+
  • The Last Action Hero
  • Legends of the Fall*+
  • Men In Black*+
  • Men In Black II*+
  • The Mummy Returns+
  • Panic Room*
  • The Patriot*+
  • Philadelphia
  • Snatch*+
  • Spiderman
  • Stand By Me
  • Taxi Driver *NEW*
  • Vertical Limit*+
* - Titles also available as R1 (US/Canada NTSC) Superbit
+ - Titles also available as R2 (UK PAL) Superbit

UK - Region 2 PAL
  • Anaconda*
  • The Big Hit*+
  • The Bone Collector+
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula*+
  • Charlie's Angels*+
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon*+
  • Dark Crystal*
  • Das Boot*
  • Desperado*+
  • The Fast and the Furious+
  • Gattaca*+
  • Gladiator+
  • Godzilla
  • Hannibal
  • Hollow Man*+
  • A Knight's Tale*+
  • Labyrinth*
  • Legends of the Fall*+
  • The Mask of Zorro*
  • Men In Black*+
  • Men In Black II*+
  • The Mummy Returns+
  • The Patriot*+
  • Shakespeare in Love
  • Snatch*+
  • Vertical Limit*+
  • xXx*
* - Titles also available as R1 (US/Canada NTSC) Superbit
+ - Titles also available as R2 (Japan NTSC) Superbit

Korea/China (inc. Hong Kong) - Region 3 NTSC
  • Anaconda
  • Bad Boys
  • The Big Hit
  • Black Hawk Down (3-Disc Superbit Deluxe)
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula
  • Charlie's Angels
  • Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon*
  • Das Boot
  • Desperado
  • From Here to Eternity
  • Gattaca
  • Hollow Man
  • Johnny Mnemonic
  • A Knight's Tale
  • Lawrence of Arabia
  • Le Maitre De Musique aka The Music Teacher
  • Legends of the Fall
  • The Mask of Zorro
  • Men In Black
  • Men In Black II
  • The One
  • Panic Room
  • The Patriot
  • The Quick and the Dead
  • Snatch
  • Spiderman
  • Vertical Limit
  • xXx

A couple of notes:

1) In other countries, Columbia/Tristar distributes films from other studios. This is why you see a film like Jurassic Park (produced by Universal) as a Superbit.

2) Superbit does not necessarily mean that it is the best version out there. There are several releases that are not as good as or equivalent to their R1 counterparts.

3) As far as I can tell, Superbit Deluxe titles are only in R1. Their other-region equivalents are all regular movie-only Superbits. The only exception to this is "Black Hawk Down" in R3.

Thanks go to AlexBC, originator of the "Superbit Japan" thread, Mark_Wilson for the link to a similar list, and anyone who's created one of these lists for inspiration.

AlexBC

Second Unit
Thanks Jesse, it's great to have a list over here too. I think lots of people don't read DVD talk (I for one).

Oooo...their list has tables and stuff. Now I'm envious.
Personally, I'd rather have the list like this. I really didn't like the layout of the DVDtalk list.

Regarding your question on the other thread and the note, there aren't any Sb deluxe in Japan, but there are some in Korea R3 NTSC and Brazil R4 NTSC(though no exclusive title is available here).

Black Hawk Down Sb Deluxe is out in Korea (R3 NTSC), it's not out yet anywhere else. Spiderman has been announced there too, street date 10/27.

6th Day is out in Italy too (R2 PAL)

check out the R3 Korea Superbit List (search for superbit and they will all be displayed).

http://www.koreandvds.com

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
According to a poster over in DVDTalk, the Italian Superbits only have Italian for 5.1 tracks and English for 2.0 tracks. At the risk of offending any Italian HTF members, should I exclude them unless this is proven otherwise?

AlexBC

Second Unit
the Italian Superbits only have Italian for 5.1 tracks and English for 2.0 tracks
In that case you should really keep them out.

You can also cut out Le Maitre De Musique aka The Music Teacher, it's really not a Superbit. In addition, Puch Drunk Love, Patriot and Hollow Man are also available in Korea as Sb Deluxe. As I said BHD in not the only SB deluxe outside the US, Brazil has some Deluxe titles too, but they're also available in the US.

Thanks again Jesse. Appreciated what you're doing.

Runar_R

Second Unit
Black Hawk Down Sb Deluxe is out in Korea (R3 NTSC), it's not out yet anywhere else.
The 3-disc deluxe version out in Sweden has the DTS track + the commentaries. Not officially a superbit, but I doubt the addition of the commentaries have a huge impact on the picture quality. Or would I be wrong in assuming that?

CharlieC

Stunt Coordinator
In Region 3, Superbit Deluxe DVDs are just called Superbit. However, the content are exactly the same with R1 counterparts.

AlexBC

Second Unit
Runar,
this version is also available in Japan. I´m not sure if the commentary would have much impact on PQ, but I think it might affect at least a little, since it´s already a long movie. I believe it´s better to include only offical superbit releases, but that might be just me.

Thanks for the info on the R3 superbit Charlie

AlexBC

Second Unit
Gordon,

Stand By Me, Jerry Maguire, Close Encounters and Dr. Strangelove are not out yet, they're all due to late november or early december. If you want to know more about these titles, go to www.amazon.co.jp and search for superbit

AlexBC

Second Unit
Possibly for a better image and a DTS track, if not for the surrounds, then for a higher fidelity track due to the increased bitrate of DTS over DD mono (I for one love remasters)

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
The release date for Taxi Driver has been delayed.

Does anyone know if the japanese Superbit titles come in some sort of digipacking? R2 (Europe) Superbit only comes in keep-case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks