What's new

super thick wood vs. crossbracing. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
thanks for the info. home depot huh? i guess i need to check them again and lay the hammer down on their bumpkins.

i thought appleply was plys of alder sandwiched between two plys of maple?

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
They are different animals. The Appleply is available in 4x8 sheets. BB is 5x5. Having worked with both, I'd say the BB is the better board, tho.

Pete

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
>Do you know if any HD can order the BB ply?

====

I don't see why not in your case. IIRC (it's been awhile), mine came from a distributor in Suwanee.

====

>Appleply is a brand name for Baltic Birch (BB) plywood and has grade levels (just like BB).

====

Baltic Birch

Baltic birch is probably the most common type of HDP, and uses birch as the substrate. This will come in 5' x 5' sheets. For a 1/2" sheet, there are typically 7 to 9 plies. Being birch, the surface does not finish as nicely as the maple counterpart, and there is a tendency for splintering at the edge of a machined cut.

Appleply

Appleply is a manufacturer's name for high density maple plywood. From a fabrication stand point, it is similar to Baltic Birch, in that it carries about the same number of plies, except Appleply comes in standard 4'x8' sheets. Because the surface is maple, there will be slightly more grain pattern on the surface, and the surface will sand much smoother. There is less splintering of the machined edges, and those splinters which do appear will be shorter and less inclined to align with the edge.

BTW, I ordered 14 ply per Tom Danley, and 11 ply ~matches marine grade.

====

>Find a wood distributor that caters to cabinetmakers & other professional woodworkers. The prices of wood will be MUCH cheaper than HD.

====

Around here, the ones I'm familiar with don't sell to the general public.

GM

Jeff Rosz

Second Unit
thanks again for the info,

btw, i've seen BB in standard 4X8 sheets(although in metric units on the web). i guess they get cut down and charged up before we get them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks