What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Super Mario Galaxy RULEZ! (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens

You have to beat the game again to get the extra level and the last star to make 121 stars.

The Dreadnought 100 coins level, is alot of lining up mario with the coins or when your hanging upside down, is lining up mario with the shadows of the coins.
The biggest thing is to see where all the coins are and where to line Mario up at at end section after hoping across.
Trying not to move so much when collecting coins, once you're lined up, just collect the coins.
If I remember right near the end isn't there some coins really high above the electric gate.
If so, then you have to sacrifice a level of power or two to get those tricky ones.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I hate that you have to do that. It was a fun game but I don't think I could do it again. There is some stuff in this game that I never want to have to do again. I'll just youtube that final star

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Really? I didn't think beating Bowser was that hard. Getting to Bowser was a bit of a challenge, though.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Got this game for Christmas. This may be the greatest game I've ever played. :)

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I watched the video on you tube for the world for the 121st star. Brilliant game, not worth playing all the way through a second time just to get it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Zelda:Twilight Princess was awesome. I liked it more than The Ocarina of Time, but YMMV. Still the best game other than SMG.

Metroid Prime 3 is also awesome. Using the Wii remote to aim works spectacularly.

RE4 is a great game, but it's balls out hard for casual gamers. If you enjoyed the previous RE games and accustomed to the difficulty, you will love this.

And don't forget Wii Sports. As good a pack-in as Combat was for the 2600. The bowling is great, but 2 player tennis is insanely fun. I wish they made a deeper version with the same engine. 5 game sets limit the awesomeness.

I haven't played it, but Medal of Honor:Heroes 2 is supposed to be good, but the 32 player online is reportedly awesome.

EDIT: I've just played 20 minutes of Ghost Squad, and by god it is FUN. The Zelda pack-in with the Zapper has it's moments, but Ghost Squad, with its reticle free shooting gives you that classic arcade light gun experience.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Even knowing this, I've still died so many times. My death count in that level has to be 100-150. Ugh...:frowning:

Has anyone else gotten 120 stars?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Woohoo! I finally got 120 stars! It took probably around 300 tries to do it, though.

...but then I had to beat Bowser again to get Super Luigi Galaxy.
What's up with that?

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
These characters make money for the franchise. Nintendo and wii. Galaxy is the best game along with Kart and Party. And even the Mario and Sonic Olympics. You gotta have them all. Even Metroids, Zelda's.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I also can't wait for Super Mario Galaxy 2. I'm so glad they announced it, because SMG is my favorite 3D Mario game. If they were going to make a sequel to one, I'm glad it was this one. The difficulty of the levels was just paced so well. I can't think of any levels that came out of nowhere to frustrate me when I wasn't ready (as in Sunshine). Also, there's VERY little "wandering around aimlessly" in Galaxy.

I got 120 stars a few months ago. The hardest star (for me) was definitely the "Luigi's Purple Coins" level with all the disappearing platforms. The key is not just in travelling carefully in a counter-clockwise loop, but in mastering the art of the mid-air spin. (This is crucial). I'm going through the game again, but with not quite the same urgency.

A few of the "question mark" (hidden) stars were tricky. I did need help finding the "hidden" lumas/paths on some of the worlds.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I've had Super Mario Galaxy since October and a Wii since Christmas, but I'm just playing it now. I was a little skeptical, since I wasn't terribly taken by SM64, which I started for the first time on the Wii. I've just never been a big fan of backtracking and playing the same areas over and over again. Fortunately, things are not only pretty linear and clearly laid out in Galaxy, but when you repeat an area, you typically see parts of it you didn't see before. And, there's such a wide variety of gameplay, and the total freedom of movement around the little planetoids is very fun. I'm not rushing it, but I should be done in plenty of time for SMG2, which I am now looking forward to greatly. I'll probably also be able to better enjoy SM64 if I try it again, along with Sunshine, which I did like but stopped playing and need to restart.

I loved Super Mario Galaxy, I loved the challenge, getting that last star was very tough, but I manged to get all 121.
Now the sequel looks amazing and Yoshi is back!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The good news is, I have 119 out of 120 stars. The bad news is, the last one is Luigi's Purple Coins. Hateful piece of shit.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget, you can then go through the whole game again as Luigi! So technically you're 1 star short of halfway there.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
My understanding is I have to get that final star and beat Bowser to unlock Luigi. If that's accurate, I'm just planning to unlock him and try him out, but not replay entirely. I've got one more night to wrap things up before New Super Mario Bros. Wii gets here tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks