Sunfire Grand III 9.1 suround sound?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Phil_DC, May 18, 2003.

1. Phil_DC

Phil_DC Stunt Coordinator

I saw that the Sunfire Grand III can do 9.1 surround sound via side-axis channels. With 7.1 surround sound you have side and rear channels already so how does the side-axis channels fit in to the setup?

2. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

they are placed behind the front speakers and off to the side. Their purpose is to give a greater depth to the front soundstaging.

I have never heard it, but I have a friend who did and he said it does add to the soundstage.

Rich

3. Phil_DC

Ah, so it's for additional front left and right speakers not surround speakers. So you can probably get the same effect just by using an extra 2 channel amp and split the front left and right out on a 7.1 receiver yes?

4. Rich Wenzel

Rich Wenzel Supporting Actor

don't think so...i think Sunfire created their own processing for this. I believe Yamaha has their own version as well, they call it front effects.

go to www.sunfire.com and call them up, they be better than I at explaining it.

Rich

5. Phil_DC

Thanks for the info,

I am very familar with the Yamaha version; I still have an old Yamaha DSP-1 processor that used front and rear effects channels. That was my surround sound before true surround sound was around.