What's new

Sunfire Grand III 9.1 suround sound? (1 Viewer)

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
I saw that the Sunfire Grand III can do 9.1 surround sound via side-axis channels. With 7.1 surround sound you have side and rear channels already so how does the side-axis channels fit in to the setup?

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
they are placed behind the front speakers and off to the side. Their purpose is to give a greater depth to the front soundstaging.

I have never heard it, but I have a friend who did and he said it does add to the soundstage.

Rich

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, so it's for additional front left and right speakers not surround speakers. So you can probably get the same effect just by using an extra 2 channel amp and split the front left and right out on a 7.1 receiver yes?

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
don't think so...i think Sunfire created their own processing for this. I believe Yamaha has their own version as well, they call it front effects.

go to www.sunfire.com and call them up, they be better than I at explaining it.

Rich

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info,

I am very familar with the Yamaha version; I still have an old Yamaha DSP-1 processor that used front and rear effects channels. That was my surround sound before true surround sound was around.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks