What's new

Sundance Summer Film Series 2002 (Criterion) (1 Viewer)

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
I want to credit Ashirg over at the Criterion DVD message boards for posting this news that came from digitallyobsessed.com. Criterion and Sundance are teaming up to bring Classic World Cinema during July and August. They include films that are not part of the normal Sundance rotation - here is a copied and pasted schedule:
Juliet of the Spirits (Giulietta degli spiriti) (Federico Fellini, Italy, 1965) - In Fellini's dazzling first color feature, an unhappy housewife (the great Giulietta Masina, Fellini's wife) is launched on a hallucinatory journey of self-discovery after her philandering husband forgets their wedding anniversary. Airs Saturday, July 6th at 9:00pm.
The Last Wave (Peter Weir, Australia, 1977) - Weir conjures an atmosphere of otherworldly mystery in this story of a lawyer (Richard Chamberlain) who begins having disturbing visions after he agrees to represent a group of aborigines accused of murder. Airs Sunday, July 7th at 9:00pm.
Branded to Kill (Kiroshi no rakuin) (Seijun Suzuki, Japan, 1967) - Suzuki's brilliantly gonzo yakuza thriller follows the blood-soaked travails of Number 3 Killer, a gangster whose last, botched job has made him the target of Number 1 Killer. Airs Saturday, July 13th at 9:00pm.
Alphaville (Jean-Luc Godard, France, 1965) - Godard's one-of-a-kind fusion of film noir, science fiction and dystopian allegory stars Eddie Constantine as Lemmy Caution, a special agent whose latest mission leads him into the lonely streets of Alphaville, a city ruled by a supercomputer. Airs Sunday, July 14th 9:00pm.
Cries and Whispers (Viskningar och rop) (Ingmar Bergman, Sweden, 1972) -In Bergman's beautiful, haunting masterpiece, a dying woman (Harriet Andersson) transcends the pettiness of her squabbling sisters (Liv Ullmann and Ingrid Thulin) as she recalls moments from the lives they shared. Airs Saturday, July 20th at 9:00pm.
The Passion of Joan of Arc (La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc) (Carl Theodor Dreyer, France, 1928) - Dreyer's artistic milestone uses actual records to recreate the 15th Century trial of the French martyr, and star Maria Falconetti. Falconetti gives one of cinema's greatest performances. Airs Sunday, July 21st at 9:00pm.
Loves of a Blonde (Lásky jedné plavovlásky) (Milos Forman, Czechoslovakia, 1965) - Forman helped kick off the vibrant Czech New Wave with this sexy and subtly subversive comedy about a young woman (Hana Brejchova) looking for love in a drab factory town. Airs Saturday, July 27th 9:00pm.
The Cranes Are Flying (Letyat Zhuravli) (Mikhail Kalatozov, Soviet Union, 1957) - A sweeping, gorgeously photographed love story about a young couple whose blissful romance is sundered when Russia enters World War II, leaving each alone to cope with fear, loneliness and danger. Airs Sunday, July 28th 9:00pm.
Rashomon (Akira Kurosawa, Japan, 1950) - An electrifying inquiry into subjectivity and truth, Rashomon tells the story of a rape and murder from four different perspectives: the two victims, the perpetrator and the sole witness. Airs Saturday, August 3rd at 9:00pm.
Le Trou (The Hole) (Jacques Becker, France, 1960) - A keen sense of realism pervades this taut thriller (based on a true story) about five prisoners plotting their escape from a Paris jail cell. Airs Sunday, August 4th at 9:00pm.
Le Million (René Clair, France, 1931) - The very definition of effervescent charm (and ingenious technique), Clair's comedy/musical chronicles the adventures of an impoverished artist who combs the streets of Paris to retrieve a winning lottery ticket. Airs Saturday, August 10th at 9:00pm.
Day of Wrath (Vredens dag) (Carl Theodor Dreyer, Denmark, 1943) - Set during the witchcraft hunts of 17th Century Denmark, this intense and richly textured melodrama begins with one woman's condemnation and culminates with that of another. Airs Sunday, August 11th at 9:00pm.
The Firemen's Ball (Horí, má panenko) (Milos Forman, Czechoslovakia, 1967) - The last film Forman made in his native Czechoslovakia, this riotous farce charts the progress of a volunteer firemen's benefit gala, an event that proves good intentions are no match for ineptitude, greed and sundry other forms of human intervention. Airs Saturday, August 17th at 9:00pm.
Ballad of a Soldier (Ballada o soldate) (Grigori Chukhraj, Soviet Union, 1959) - After vanquishing two German tanks in a World War II battle, a heroic young Russian soldier (Zhanna Prokhorenko) observes hope and devastation alike as he travels home to visit his mother. Airs Sunday, August 18th at 9:00pm
The Night Porter (Il Portiere de notte) (Liliana Cavani, Italy, 1974) - In 1957 Vienna, a chance meeting between a concentration camp survivor (Charlotte Rampling) and her former captor/lover (Dirk Bogarde) sparks an obsessive recreation of their sadomasochistic affair. Airs Saturday, August 24th at 9:00pm.
La Bête Humaine (The Human Beast) (Jean Renoir, France, 1938) - Jean Gabin plays a psychologically troubled train engineer whose affair with the stationmaster's wife (Simone Simon) leads to tragedy. Airs Sunday, August 25th at 9:00pm.
M (Fritz Lang, Germany, 1931) - Harrowing yet humane, Lang's iconic thriller chronicles the fevered hunt for a child murderer, played by Peter Lorre as a criminal as anguished as he is cunning. Airs Saturday, August 31st at 9:00pm.
As Ashirg pointed out - La Bete Humaine from Jean Renoir is not currently a Criterion release??!! I surely appreciate this as raising a family I cannot just buy every dvd I see, this allows me to experience the film, and I can be fairly certain if and when I add it to my collection.

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
This starts tonight on Sundance, so I thought I would bring it up to remind anyone who might be interested.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, I'll look for it. I've seen and own quite a few of those, but there are still some I haven't seen.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Cool. I own a majority of the movies on Criterion DVD, but there are still some that I want to watch. I am glad Sundance is showing these movies at a convenient time (9 pm on weekends) when I can actually watch the direct broadcast without first taping it on crappy VHS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks