What's new

suggested compression on my receiver (1 Viewer)

Mike Mundt

Stunt Coordinator
My sony manual for my str-de985 receiver tells me that setting my Dynamic Range Compression to their STD setting is "to reproduce the sound track with the dynamic range intended by the recording engineer".

ive always left the compression off because i figured it was a feature only for late night listening. When is says it is meant to reproduce the sound track with the correct dynamic range, does that mean it is keeping all frequencies 20kHz-20Hz? I know there are subharmonic frequencies from adding to the sound track?

can someone explain to me why I would want to leave the compression set to STD and not off?

Edwin_C

Stunt Coordinator
dynamic range doesn't have to do with the frequencies, it has to do with the overall dynamics of the movie. it makes it so you can set it at one volume setting and not have to run for the remote when a loud scene comes on.

the reason why you should set it to std is because dolby digital soundtracks are encoded with the expectation that it's going to be put on that setting.

Mike Mundt

Stunt Coordinator
i was always told the reason why the mix varies so much was to keep it more accurate to real life where not everything is consistently at the same volume. if its only for dolby, im guessing dts doesn't suggest to use it?

does everyone use this feature when watching DD? I'm not new to home theater, but i've never heard of people using it except to watch late night movies for volume concerns. Anyone here who doesn't use it?

DanielSmi

Second Unit
No compression is generally only used when you're listening late at night.

Daniel Smith

Mike Mundt

Stunt Coordinator
ok, thats what i thought, when I use it, it seems to effect the sound significately. I loose alot of the enviornment noise that I hear without it on. Losing alot of the spaciousness of the mix also

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks