What's new

Successor to the Panasonic RP-91 (1 Viewer)

Leo

Second Unit
Well I'm looking to move out the Pioneer DV-45a to a two channel setup with headphone/headphone amp (or eventually get a dedicated SACD player) and am wondering if a DVD player has been released or coming to market soon that is chroma-bug free Prog-Scan that replaces the Panasonic RP-91? It just needs to be able to play DVD's very well (oh and not break the bank - not up for paying $1000 for a DVD player as technology keeps moving).

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Can you clarify what you mean? Are asking for suggestions of a DVD player in general w/out regard for the multi-channel hi-rez formats? OR a DVD/SACD player? OR looking for something specific to the Panny RP91? OR what?

Currently, there's no Panny successor for the RP91. And there is no general successor in terms of letterbox zoom/scaling PLUS better PQ. That's why I ended up buying an RP91 recently (for $290).

If your TV has DVI input, then you might want to check out the few DVI-output players like Samsung HD931 and Bravo D1. The Momitsu v880 might be viable also for upconverted component video although they're probably more risky than the Bravo. These fall in the $200-300 range and offer little or no MC hi-rez support.

If you're just talking about general 480p PQ, not scaling at all, then you might want to get a Denon 1600 (w/ DVD-A) or a Philips 963sa (w/ SACD) for the circa $400 range. They should offer better music playback than cheaper DVD players although the Philips has some quirks and bugs/QA issues as well as some nice extra/side features. If music playback does not matter at all, try hunting down a Panny XP30 for ~$200, which has been discontinued, but might still be available at your local Sharper Image.

For more details on these players, do a search and you should find plenty of info on them.

_Man_

Leo

Second Unit
Clarification: I'm looking for a DVD player only that is chroma-bug free. I mean, the manufacturers have to know by now that they can put out a unit that does a great job and the electronics for it won't cost a fortune.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I don't believe the RP-91 ever had the progressive chroma bug. At least it didn't according to the Secrets Shoot-out.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was scratching my head on the chroma bug pronouncement too. I had it on my old Proscan DVD player from 4 years ago, so I'm pretty sure I know what the chroma bug looks like, and my Panny RP91 eliminated that problem for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks