What's new

subwoofer TO reciever ( really stupid question) (1 Viewer)

Marie

Auditioning
hooking a powered subwoofer to a reciever.there is a place for a connector on the back of the reciver(black) to go TO the subwoofer.. & a similar one on the back of the subwoofer for input(which is in YELLOW).
what kind of cord do you use?? just a regular RCA plug? or some specialty type? ( like a digital??)

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
You're right, that is a really stupid question! ;) Just kiddin, any sheilded RCA cable will suffice. You can use a video cable whatever, anything.
You just want to look for quality connectors and durable construction.

Marie

Auditioning
ok, next question.
is it better to use the ONE cable??(to the in & outs I mentioned above)

or use a "Y" cable & connect to the left & right input on the subwoofer??

which gives better sound etc??

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Using the "Y" connector to the subwoofer's amplifier will result in about a 3dB gain - which means you might need to reduce the gain on the amplifier just a bit. However, the 3dB gain isn't totally free, it provides you with the 3dB up front, but also takes it off the top end.

As far as sound quality goes, flip a coin. Using the "Y" adapter will just mean that you'll spend a bit more on your cables at the time of purchase (approx. $4.00 for the "Y" adapter.) If you just connect one RCA cable to one of the inputs for the subwoofer amp, you'll just need to bump up the gain a little to provide sufficient volume.

Also, keep in mind that you'll probably want to get an SPL meter to properly calibrate the sub in relation to your other speakers.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
You dont need it, if you have a sleepy auto on switch the Y splitter seems to help. Also, you apparently get a 3dB signal increase but I have never measured it. Better sound is a result of calibration and location. What kind of sub did you get?

Edit: Wayne beat me to it

Marie

Auditioning
its a cerwin-vega lw-15
its several years old,, my receiver just bit the dust & I purchased a new one.....(pioneer vsx-D812) & am checking to see if everything is hooked up properly.

btw,, the old receiver...could not get it to stop blowing fuses, had gone into protected mode.. & we just didn't think it was worth it to send it OUT ( we didn't want to mess with finding values etc, as was recommended),, do ya think anyone would be interested in paying *something* for it ( maybe ebay) to mess around with it for parts?? ( Ok can't remember the make....different part of house)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks