What's new

Subwoofer on carpeted floor...is there anything else I can do? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Our entire downstairs is carpeted with the exception of the dining room and kitchen. Right now, I have my subwoofer located directly under the right front satellite speaker in a corner with an outside wall. It is sitting on carpet. It sounds great, but is there anything else I can do to maximize its performance, like putting a board under it or something. Relocating it to another part of the living room really isn't an option.

Thanks in advance...

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Some folks opt to put a marble (or some kind of stone) slab under their sub.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
To be honest: no! Your sub should sound great and the carpet won't change that. On the contrary, I would say, less chance of standing waves between ceiling and floor.

Some people like to feel their subs resonating on the wooden floor. For those (and if there's a distance requirement - e.g. if it's a downwards radiating sub), there are carpet-piercing spikes. Won't damage the carpet too seriously, but may scratch the wooden floor beneath it. Useless on concrete floors, damaging on expensive parquet.

Cees

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen,
Is the sub:
1) A 'bottom firing' unit.
2) A 'side firing' unit.
Translation - Which way is the big, bad wolf pointed?
If its a 'bottom firing' unit, lay it on its side, point
it toward the corner, and check it out. Another, option
for 'bottom firing' units is place a piece of counter top
material under them.
NOTE: I would not bother to do any of this unless you can
validate an improvement with some good data from a SLP meter and Avia DVD.
http://www.sonicdesign.se/subplace.html
JRS

JerryW

Supporting Actor
You can try putting a marble slab or patio stone under it, or install some carpet spikes and couple it to your floor. I did both and it made a pretty dramatic improvement.
Of course, the slab only helps if your sub is of the down-firing variety.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
1. Get it as close to the corner as possible

2. Place it on a solid slab of concrete or marble type of stone

3. If the port is on the bottom, place a oil type of funnel under the port, this will direct the air away from the floor and into the room.

Gregg

DanaA

Screenwriter
I have to agree with those suggesting trying out a piece of slab underneath. I'm on these boards because I'm undergoing a complete make-over in my bedroom HT. Every day here, I learn many, many new things. Two or three days ago, I heard the slab idea and went to Home Depot and bought a 14 by 14" piece of ceramic tile and, because the change over was so immediate, I did notice a significant difference in the subs performance. These people really know what they're talking about.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I have a front-firing sub (Polk PSW350), and I tried the patio stone thing just for kicks... and got a 2db increase in output just by putting the patio stone under it (14"x14"x2" slab from Home Depot). I also put a smaller slab on top of the sub (12"x12"x2"), and that made it noticably tighter-sounding for music. At first I thought perhaps I was perceiving a difference just because I thought I should, so I removed the stones and replaced them several times to verify it. Hell, for less than $5, it's worth a try!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks