What's new

Subwoofer Literally Smoked (1 Viewer)

babumani

Auditioning
Real Name
Babu
Hello folks,

I am a novice to the HT, looking for help and here are the details.

Based on reviews and recommendations I bought the below said items to set up a 5.1 HT:-

Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR605
Center channel Speaker: Infinity Beta C360
Front Speakers: Infinity Beta 20
Surround Speakers: Polk R20
Subwoofer: [COLOR= rgb(255, 0, 0)]Yamaha YST-SW315[/COLOR]

I also bought 14 gauge RCA speaker wires from Lowes, connected them it to test (Subwoofer was connected using the pre out port using an audio cable). Everything worked fine for a couple of minutes, but when I increased the volume of Subwoofer, I saw smoke coming out of the back panel with electrical burnt smell out of the subwoofer and the subwoofer stopped working. Everything else works fine. Seller has agreed for a refund, but he says it was tested before he shipped it.

1. Now my first question is why the subwoofer failed/burned and did anyone else has this issue?
2. Any recommendations for (other) subwoofers? [below $300]
3. What do you think about the setup?

Thank you.

27dnast

Agent
Real Name
Todd
Next time before you buy wire... check out monoprice.com. Great place to buy speaker wire and cables. It's quality stuff, IMO.

Not sure why the sub burned... perhaps you had the volume on the sub itself cranked to max? You probably want to keep it around 50%.

There are decent prices right now on the Polk PSW110 and you might want to check out Energy Subs... they are, primarily, priced mid-range but you can find good sales on them on occasion.

Good luck.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Well, we don't know for sure what burned out inthe sub. It may be that you had the volume of the sound up, and the sub way up, and it couldn't handle it so the driver (speaker) went belly up.

Or, there may have been a problem on the amplifier, and it just up and died because it wanted to.

There's no chance that your wiring had anything to do with the problem.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Dayton ES10 Elite was designed by Dr. Hsu and should be a significant up=grade over the Yamaha.

Here are some others: Infinity PS212

JBL ES250

Boston HPS 12HO

Elemental-Designd A2 250 (slightly out of $$ range but...)

Edited by gene c - 7/30/2009 at 04:28 am GMT

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Babu:

Did you buy the sub new? Used?

Since it went south just a few minutes into operation, I would hope the seller agreed to a refund.

babumani

Auditioning
Real Name
Babu
Mike -> No, not yet, seller has agreed for a refund/replacement, I have sent it back and waiting to hear from seller.

Thanks to all who have responded and replied.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks