What's new

sub run of about 35' with coax (1 Viewer)

A buddy of mine found a 1000' spool of Belden 75ohm burial coax cable, (18 awg) at a construction site he was working at. He thought that I might be able to use it in my theater. Well its been in the closet until now. would it be possible to use this for my sub that is 35'-40' from my preamp. provided that I purchased the rca type connectors? Key word in this thread is "burial cable".
Link Removed
here are the specs per belden
Link Removed

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
It is likely RG-11. It will pass the signals but may be difficult to work with due to the thickness. An RCA cable for a sub is not expensive. You can go to places like Milestek, www.milestek.com and look at part no. CA-1394-XXX, where XXX is the length in inches. The cost is $12 plus $0.20/ft. so a 35 footer would be $19 plus shipping for a good quality flexible cable. The cable you have is made to stand up to be outside and for long video runs since the center conducter is thicker than the stuff you usually since in interconnects. If you want to connect RCAs to what you have, you need to find something that can be used with the thickness of the cable, perhaps www.latinternational.com. These can handle thicker cables generally and are locking RCAs and are $14.95/pr. plus shipping.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
No Kevin did not look at the link just assumed via the description that it might be the stuff cables cos. use from their plant to the distribution boxes. Just wanted to make sure that if a thick cable was to be terminated that a proper size RCA. Did not want to see someone frustrated trying to fit a bit cable into a small RCA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks