What's new

Sub right next to seating area, acoustics OK? (1 Viewer)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I keep thinking about the SVS PB2+, but so far I can't get over the size and weight.

Could this be used as an end table, right next to the listening position? I seem to remember a comment somewhere saying that having the sub exactly at the listening position was actually not a bad place to put one. Room nodes and such.

Thanks.

Fletcher F

Auditioning
I have mine as a end table next to the couch. I have a lamp and other do-dads on it. As a matter of fact the lamp is the kind you touch to turn on, off, and to dim. I have not once had a problem with the lamp becoming a "strobe" light, like I thought it would. As for as right next to my listening position, mine is in a corner and not next to my sitting position. Once you get the PB2+ you will wonder how you lived with out it, I know I do. This is the first sub I have ever heard that is not boomy. It's tight. When it is time for it to kick in it does so with Authority!!!!!
To me, it is the best investment I have made in music and home theater.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I have mine more or less in the middle of the room, as an end table at the corner where a sofa and large chair meet to make such a corner. No problemo, but it is a fairly mean sub, and can take being driven excessively hard.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have a small six sided table between two recliners with a KLH 8 inch sub underneath it. This way I can get at the controls without getting out of the chair. Doing this also makes a cheap sub sound and feel much better than if it were up against the wall. You also don't need to turn the volumn up as loud. I'm sure my neighbors appreciate that. I would love to see how two small subs on each side of a couch would sound. I think that might be ideal for me. Maybe someday. Gene

EdS

Agent
I've seen several posts by Hsu owners stating that Dr. Hsu recommends using the VTF-3 subs as end tables near or behind the sofa. This position is supposed to put the listener in the near field of the sub's output so that the listener is less affected by the effects of the room's response. Don't see any reason why this wouldn't also apply to the SVS subs.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I have had mine as an end table and also in the front corner. Sounds the same except just had to turn up the gain just a notch when its away in the corner. I think that just about any place in a normal size room you put one of these things you'll love it. Love my PB2+

AxelKro

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Kevin,

I used to have my Sub at the right of my couch too. It was too close for me, as I always got the strange feeling of having Bass only on one side. On the other hand, it was nice to have it so close by for the rumbling.

So, I decided to sell the present Sub and go for two new identical subs (PB1+), one to the left, the other to the right of the couch. That way I can combine both advantages, the bass centers at my listening position and does no longer draw the attention itself.

The PB1+ is just perfect in size for me, as it got the height of the armrest of the couch and will work 100% as Sidetables.

The PB2+ would just be too big and always be "visible". Espacially as I am after two boxes for above reason. The PB1+ boxsize goes very well with the rest of my furniture.

Regards,
Axel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks