What's new

Sub eq good, speaker eq bad? (1 Viewer)

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
Why is it good to use an eq to get flat response on your sub, but bad to do the same thing on your speakers?

Bill Polley

Second Unit
I EQ everything. Some people say that it degrades the signal because you are adding something into the signal path. I worked at a radio station in college, and I have seen a recording studio. I have seen the equipment bands use. They all include equalizers and signal processors of various types.

Simply buying a 10 band graphic EQ and making a V or W pattern on it is not the answer. Using equipment such as the Behringer 1124 parametric EQ to flatten your sub's room response is, in my opinion, an absolute necessity. Using a good digital 31 band eq with a calibrated microphone and an auto equalization feature can really make your system shine. Others will disagree, but I know that my system (all channels EQed) sounds incredible. I also know that last weekend my brother in Ohio bought EQs for all channels and when we were finished setting them up, both he and his wife were very happy with the results. Both systems employ the 1124 for the subs plus Behringer Ultra Curve Pro 8024s for all channels. These systems both sound wonderful.

My opinion.

David Judah

Screenwriter
The positives of EQ for bass in smallish rooms where modal behavior dominates and wavelengths are much longer will generally outweigh the negatives. Those negatives like distortion and timing issues(to a smaller degree)are less perceptible in the lower frequencies.

Keep in mind too what kind of unit is doing the EQ. If it's like the ones built in to alot of receivers, the EQ is being done in the digital domain without the extra conversions in some cases and additional cable runs that are required in a stand alone box.

In addition, how the EQ is implememted and built is very important. EQ got a bad rap from the old analog EQs that introduced alot of phase shift and also ones of limited resolution that didn't have the ability to take care of the problems. Now, with increased processing power that is getting cheaper and cheaper, EQ filters introduce less deleterious effects and are of sufficient resolution.

DJ

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. I have only been running a Rane PEQ on my sub, but may try some eq'ing on my mains and center as well.

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
By the way, would any Behringer, DOD, Art, Rane, 31 band graphic eq used with an spl meter be good, or must I use a digital eq with a mike?

David Judah

Screenwriter
The problem with a graphic EQ like that particular Behringer is that you don't have control over the center frequency and the Q(how wide or narrow of a range you want to affect).

You want a parametric EQ so you can precisely make corrections without affecting the surrounding frequencies to a large degree.

You can use test tones with an SPL meter(make sure you use the correction guide)and some graph paper, but it is much more time consuming than using a computer program such as ETF. They have a demo you can download for free at their website.

DJ

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks David. I understand that the graphic models aren't that precise. I'm mostly wondering if the current, typical Pro Audio 31 band eq will degrade sound quality. They aren't digital, correct? Forgive my ignorance as eq's are not something that I've looked into up until now.

David Judah

Screenwriter
They are digital. You can experiment with one, but you will really be running the signal through a circuitous route with the extra cables and the extra A/D/A conversions. I doubt there will be enough gains, if any, from the EQ to outweigh the losses associated with those things in the higher frequencies.

I'd leave the EQ on the sub, where it will have the greatest impact, and keep the rest of your signal path as simple as possible. In the price range of that Behringer you'll probably do more harm than good.

If you really want some EQ above 100 Hz or so, I'd consider the new HK 635 with its built in EQ. It looks to be a step above the other current offerings from Yamaha, Pioneer, and Denon.

DJ

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
o.k. I may just buy a used single channel to experiment with.

I just bought an HK AVR630 last fall and it's going to have to do for a while. Thanks for the advice David.

Eric Ha

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I picked up a Rane ME-30B and tried it on one of the Adires. Big improvement. After setting the 31 bands to flatten out peaks and dips, my 281 has much better midrange. The great thing is- I didn't boost the mids. There were a few frequencies that were too hot and I just pulled them back. Now the speaker sounds much more balanced. I'm sold.

Now I know that room treatments would help instead of eq'ing. After all of the gear that I've bought, it would not be a good idea to start putting large traps and panels all over my living room. My wife has been patient enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks