What's new

sub delima---SVS or servo-15 (1 Viewer)

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to get some opinions from all you readers out there. I have a chance to buy a barely used Paradigm Servo-15 for about $1000. My system consists of Paradigm speakers and I was going to get a servo-15 someday, but they are quite spendy at full retail. When the SVS subs came out I decided I'd rather get them since I can get 2 of them for the same price and have slightly more sound for the same money. With this used sub I now have a delima.
1) Buy the Servo for $1k
2) Buy a 16-46CS with amp for $875
3) Get two 16-46CS with amp for $1300
4) Buy single CS-Ultra with amp for $1400.
I currently have a Paradigm PS-1000 which does just fine for music but gets very muddy for movies.
Any comments?
------------------

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'd grab the Ultra package without thinking twice. Easily the best bass $1400 can buy, I think.
------------------
hlfmstflg2.gif

[Edited last by Jack Gilvey on October 05, 2001 at 09:48 AM]

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I'd also consider the dual 20-39cs/S700 package if you're looking at SVS. In most rooms...the 39s will offer strong energy into the 17-19hz range.
$1000 for a used servo15 seems fair...but only if it's in very good condition.(it is a great woof though). One thing to consider...for $199 more...you'll be getting more than double the clean output capability(dual 20-39cs/S700).
TV

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
David.
Are you from Corvallis, Oregon? If so, it's not a long jaunt up to Vancouver, B.C....where I'll bet you can find a damn good deal on the Servo using American dollars. Possibly close to that used price.
At the same time, I would triple the SVS suggestion. You would be buying new units, under warranty, that can better the performance of the used option. But Servo-15s do not suck. If you would like to speak to someone that owns both, look up Trevor Schell on the board. He uses both subs and if I remember correctly....he wouldn't get rid of either the SVS or Paradigm package. There are things to like about both subs.
Jeremy

David Sorenson

Stunt Coordinator
The servo is only a couple months old and is in mint condition. It is also has the hardwood panels. It was owned by a good friend and co-worker of mine who passed away Monday at work. He had just ordered the Active 40's for his system but they hadn't arrived yet. His Servo, studio 20's and studio center are all less than 2 months old.
------------------

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Than the purchase is probably a steal. If you know that he took care of his equipment the same way you would...you're good to go.
The SVS package(s) will give you a few more decibels, but the Servo is one hell of a sub and very musical.
Jeremy

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
If you are willing to drive to BC, you could pick up a new servo 15 with a crossover for 1250-1300 CAD or around 800 US. Only you can decide whether its worth the drive for that amount of savings.
I just purchased a servo 15 last saturday for $1300 CAD and I think this sub is just amazing, but people also say the SVS subs are amazing therefore it is hard for me to recommend it over the SVS without having heard them first.
Where is Trevor Schell when you need him ? :)
Aaron

Shanthi

Stunt Coordinator
David,
TV is right, your best best would be dual 20-39cs. Never heard servo, so no comments on that. I had the same question and decided with dual 20-39 and I do not regret my decision.
my two cents.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks