What's new

sub-$100 DVD player (1 Viewer)

BrianMe

Stunt Coordinator
So, I need a DVD player right away. I'm guessing I get a "quality" lower cost one and then get an HD-DVD later. Which sub-$100 DVD player is the best one at this time?

Thanks,
Brian

KeithMoechnig

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not incredibly up to date on this, but my friend got the toshiba SD-1800 I think it is. It only has coax out for digital 5.1, but that's all you really need. I can't really review the audio because he's using TV speakers, but the video looks like the best you'll get without paying over 100 dollars. It's at my shopko for 80 dollars.

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
The Panasonic S47 is $99 bucks...if you can find it anywhere. It has an optical output. I don't know for sure, but I think this model has been discontinued. If you can find one, it's a heck of a player for the price.

MikeBoehm

Stunt Coordinator
I also might be in the market soon for a DVD Player. I have $75 in gift cards for BustBuy that I need to get rid of as well. My Sony DVP-S360 works fine but lately some home made DVDs it has problems with while my cheapie $40 player from Sears works just fine.

I would need optical outputs to go to my tuner but other than that, that's about the only real requirement.

Thanks for any other suggestions....

RobertEusebius

Auditioning
I recently bought a Toshiba SD-K741 DVD player at Coscto for $58 when my old Toshiba crapped out. It has component video and digital coax. I recently completed my new HT setup, a Pioneer 47TX (bought used) and Vienna Acoustic Mozarts. Those are the prime pieces. I bought (don't snicker now) BIC center and surrounds for movie use and a JBL sub. I will be replacing the BIC's with matching Mozart and VA surrounds and a Denon 2910.

The Toshiba surprised me. If I turn off the BIC's and run Stereo direct out to the VA's the sound is passable. The component video was a marked improvement over the old Toshiba S-Video, very noticable on Pixar animation DVD's.

It plays MP3's too. It will go into the bedroom TV after I buy the higher end Denon.

Robert

Corey-Reid

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a cheap Oritron dvd3119 for 19.99 for my bedroom. I recently bought a Philips 30pw9100d HDTV for the same bedroom. When i bought the cheapy dvd player, I had no idea it had progressive scan capabilities, heck, i probably didnt even know what progressive scan was.

Anyway, I hooked up the dvd player to the DVI input and played several movies(finding nemo, incredibles, matrix) through this tv and I can not imagine getting a better picture quality.

So I guess what im saying, is for 19.99, this player has digital coaxial out, component out, progressive scan, plays dvd +/- R discs, plays mp3......

cant see a reason to spend 100 bucks if your looking for a really cheap dvd player that has a very good pitcure and plays many disc formats.

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks