What's new

Studio 60 Config (1 Viewer)

Bob_Hammond

Agent
Santa brought me a pair of Studio 60s to be my new mains. I moved my 20s to be the surrounds, and I have an SVS 20-39PCi sub. I was looking for some advice on config:

-Should I run the 60s as large or small? I had been using the 20s as the front and ran them as small, but I'm thinking that I should run the 60s as large.

-Should I angle the 60s towards the center of the room, or set them perpindicular to the wall?

Thanks

Bob

Jason Brent

Second Unit
Bob,

I think it depends on what kind/how loud you listen to them.

I also have the 60's, but have them set to small. Some material that I play at louder volumes makes them bottom out some. So I have them crossed over at 60 Hz. 40 Hz sounded good too.

Just my own personal thoughts....YMMV

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I always run my studio 60's set to small for movies as my sub woofer does a much better job with the bass than the 60's do. I also have my studio 60's crossed over at 60Hz.

Music is a different story! I run them exclusively set to large. Capable of handling bass all the way down to 30Hz they handle quite well. However, with a 2 and 1/2 way crossover you could really go either way with music. Much of your decison should based on how musical your sub woofer is, and of course which sounds best to you. Enjoy your new speakers!

Greggor

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
How many of you who own 60's drive them with separate amplification? My 60's are driven by a 3802, but I've always been slightly under the impression that these speakers NEED separate amplification for 2ch music needs, but not as much for HT.

MarcVH

Second Unit
I have 60s with SVS subs as well, and I generally run them small. I figure that, even if the 60s are good with the bass, the SVS is better.

By a curious coincidence, I also drive my 60s with a Denon 3802 but was thinking about bumping up to external amplification. Anybody done this, and to what effect?

Jason Brent

Second Unit
There is a guy who regularly posts at Outlaw's site who has the Studio 60's with an SVS, and he's driving them with an external multichannel amp. I think it is the outlaw 770, but I'm not sure. He says they sound great.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I have 40's with an extra amp (almost the same speakers). The only reason I got the extra amp was for the 7.1 config but after having it and removing it, I noticed that my receiver was compressing if there was information on all 5 channels at once, like in the launch on Apollo 13. Adding the Extra amp to the mains completely removed this compression, giving me LOADS of more headroom. I have a denon 4800, using a POA-5200 for the extra amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.