What's new

"Stir of Echoes," worth a rewatch! (1 Viewer)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
You can get Stir Of Echoes/The Ninth Gate 2 pack for only $16.99 at deepdiscountdvd. Pretty good deal. I know a lot of people didn't care for The Ninth Gate but I enjoyed it.

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed Stir Of Echoes and should pick it up for $14.99. I viewed it a couple of times in HD, which was a treat. Very good flick.

Esten

Supporting Actor
I prefer SOE over T sixth sense,too.Also.if i'm not mistaken... both movies have the same composer.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
You people are making me buy way too much dvd's !!
I can't help but visit my fav on-line retailer every time I'm checking this forum.
Today I've ordered Rushmore (criterion) and Snow White (which had been nagging in the back of my head for a few days now).
I'm drawing the line here. NO MORE! (Although I did enjoy Stir of Echoes... oh well,... www.dvdbox.....)

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I watched a bit of it on cable, but shut it off midway through. I was enjoying it so much, I decided to watch it in its proper AR on DVD. Haven't regretted the purchase at all. Great movie. It doesn't hurt that it's based on a book by the great Richard Matheson.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"but isn't the DVD release full frame?"

I was just looking at this at CC, and when I read the back I thought WTF is up with that.

"fullframe 16x9 this has been modified from its origional aspect ratio enhanced for 16x9"

I put it back on the rack because of that.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I read about it online before purchasing, and Amazon had it listed as "widescreen anamorphic." Therefore, I either didn't look closely at the box, or scanned it and saw the 16x9 and bought it anyway. I don't buy P&S, so that has to be what happened. At any rate, I strongly remembered it being "letterboxed," but Chris's post filled me with doubt. I popped the disc in, and everything's okay. :)

Joel C

Screenwriter
Artisan has a habit of calling their flat ratio discs "16X9 Fullscreen" because, well, if you have a 16X9 TVm they do fill the screen. It says "formatted to fit..." because they take it from 1.85:1 to 1.78:1 I believe.

T r o y

Supporting Actor
Checking in again to let everyone know I've just watched SOE for the first time and really enjoyed it! Very creepy film and storyline to boot. Kevin and cast were terrific. Kept me on the edge the entire time with it's spooky hypnotic flashes throughout the film.

Thanks for kicking me in the rear to go out and watch this one. Highly recommended.

Sam Hatch

Stunt Coordinator
This disc contains one of my all-time best (worst?) home theater moments. In one scene there is a ghost on screen while undead voices pound at you from the surrounds. It was such an amazingly uncomfortable experience that my first impulse was to turn the damned thing off!
It really brought across a great feeling of fear -- fear to turn and face the voices whilst turning your back on the horror in front of you, and the fear of keeping your back turned to the voices while facing the ghost. There aren't many films that have convinced my senses as well as this did.
Like I said, it pretty much put my nervous system into a state of shock. Didn't help that the lights were out (as they always are in my HT) and I was alone. Good times! :)
If only more horror films had such a nightmarish surround mix. This is yet another level on which 'SOE' defeats 'The Sixth Sense'.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
A very good movie-- I too prefer this to "The 6th Sense," which is sort of a one-trick-pony. This would make a very good double bill with the recent -- and very creepy -- "Session 9" (the DVD of which is terrific, by the way).

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
"Stir" is the best Matheson adaptation ever... and I'm counting "Somewhere in Time." It's a fabulous movie.

What angered me was misinformed critics calling it a "Sixth Sense" rip-off or another studio's attempt to make money on the "Sense" phenom. That wouldn't make sense anyway because they were likely in production at the same time.

Also, the novel was written decades ago.

Reading the novel (and watching the movie, for that matter) you can see what an influence Matheson had on Stephen King. Several moments are very reminiscent of "The Shining" and "The Dead Zone."

Sams (and I would guess some other wholesale clubs) have this and "Ninth Gate" in a set for $15. If you don't have "Stir" yet, it's worth the set just to have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks