What's new

"Stir of Echoes," worth a rewatch! (1 Viewer)

Jim Golden

Stunt Coordinator
I watched this movie when if first came out, and it hasn't been watched again, until last night.
This movie scared the crap out of me. I had to turn the volume down, because the surrounds are often in use, and the overall volume of the title just seems loud. Also, there are quite a few scenes that catch you off guard (i.e. make you jump).
If you're ever lacking for a good scary movie to enjoy, give this one a try (or a second viewing)!
:emoji_thumbsup:
Jim

Luc D

Second Unit
It's a real shame that this film came out a month after The 6th Sense. It deserves a lot more attention than it got. It's a really effective horror film. Definately worth another look. And for most people, a first look.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Certainly one of the best sleeper films I can think of. It did get an unfortunate time of release, and was largely overlooked. But inside, you've got some great atmosphere, a story that isn't about cheap thrills or scares, and some excellent lead acting by both Kevin and Katherine Erbe. A complete shame that nobody gave it a chance.

paul o'donnell

Second Unit
I actually preferred it to the sixth sense. obviously couldn't live up to the ending, but the descent into mad obsession was greatness.

A good sleeper hit.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I also enjoyed it over that "I see dead people movie".
Peace Out~:D

MichaelG

Second Unit
I haev both this and the "other" one, I have watched Stir of Echoes 4 times now, and the "other" one only once!

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I appreciate both movies... but Stir Of Echoes is one I can watch over and over again, while The Sixth Sense is kinda' spoiled after you know the ending. Both are excellent movies though!

Jim Golden

Stunt Coordinator
I like both. Haley Joel Osment gave a remarkable performance in the Sixth Sense, while the "role" of the little boy in Stir of Echoes (in my opinion) kind of made things complicated or confusing (I can't elaborate without spoiling the movie for someone).
However, the sound and visual effects were much better in Stir of Echoes (just my opinion).
:D
Jim

T r o y

Supporting Actor
I've been putting this one off for some time now, but after reading through this post, I am going to rent this one for sure now. Possibly even buy it . Later !

ace peterson

Second Unit
This is a great movie! I loved Kevin Bacon's work in this, particularly that scene where he is going balistic with the power tool! Yeah, I too feel this movie didn't get the attention it deserved. Like most people felt it was a knock-off of the sixth sense euphoria.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I watched a bit of it on cable, but shut it off midway through. I was enjoying it so much, I decided to watch it in its proper AR on DVD. :) Haven't regretted the purchase at all. Great movie. It doesn't hurt that it's based on a book by the great Richard Matheson.

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
I watched a bit of it on cable, but shut it off midway through. I was enjoying it so much, I decided to watch it in its proper AR on DVD. Haven't regretted the purchase at all. Great movie. It doesn't hurt that it's based on a book by the great Richard Matheson.

but isn't the DVD release full frame?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
You're right. I should have said, "I wanted to watch it in its proper AR, and didn't realize at the time the DVD wasn't." :)
Actually, I'm befuddled right now. The back of the packaging says it's full frame, but I just put the disc on, and it's matted. Misprint? Or, is this because it says it's Full Frame enhanced for 16x9? On my regular set, it looks "letterboxed." Never encountered a Full Frame/16x9, so I don't know.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Here's Widescreen Review's video review (via Amazon):
Widescreen Review:
Picture Quality: 3.5 (5 is the highest rating)
The anamorphically enhanced picture, viewed in component video, has a dark overall quality that is suitable for the subject matter, and is nicely rendered with good shadow delineation and contrast. Viewing in a completely blackened room is recommended for optimal visual information in the darker scenes. Images are sharp and detailed, with nicely rendered fine detail. Colors are stylized with rich hues and deep blacks, though sometimes wanting in definition. Fleshtones are accurately rendered throughout. Clarity is sometimes wanting, and minor artifacts are apparent. Artisan has misleadingly labeled the disc as being "16x9 Full Screen," as they did also with "Buena Vista Social Club" and "Joan Of Arc." Hopefully, this form of labeling will not continue. The DVD measures 1.78:1, anamorphic and letterbox.
So, if you've been holding out because you thought it was full frame, Chris, buy away! I'm just glad to know I'm not crazy. :crazy:

Dan V

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the fact that Stir of Echoes has more rewatch value than Sixth Sense does. The soundtrack is awesome, it really immerses you in the movie with it's great creepy sound effects.Great movie, and I've noticed a recent price reduction on it to 14.99

James Spraggs

Stunt Coordinator
Actually bought this sight unseen the week it came out and have enjoyed it numerous times since. There is nothing beter than showing this movie to someone who has never seen and watching them enjoy it.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I've watched this more than my Sixth Sense DVDs. One of my favorite scenes is the hypnotism scene near the beginning. Very cool.

The Dolby Digital 5.1 absolutely rocks on this disc, especially at the end. Very creepy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks