What's new

stereo TV without a VCR? (1 Viewer)

GregHB

Auditioning
I just completed my surroand sound system at my house and this is my first post on this forum. My question is: Is it possible to watch television in suroand sound, or at least throuh my loudspeakers without a VCR. If so, which connections do I make from the TV to the receiver?

Thanks, greg

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
The answer, as usual, is "maybe".

If your television has stereo audio outputs, then what you are asking for is definitely possible. Connect the TV's audio outputs to the TV, VCR, or Aux inputs of your receiver. Then use the TV's menu system to disable its built-in speakers. Note that not all TVs allow control of the volume being output from their stereo audio outputs, so the TV remote's volume control may no longer be useful. If you find that your TV behaves similarly, then use the receiver's volume control instead.

If you television does not have audio outputs, then you'll need to purchase a stereo VCR or a new television.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
greg, good...just a quick folo here if it applies:

if your tv offers the choice of tv audio FIXED/VARIABLE outlets, the variable will keep the tv volume active on the tv remote, as well as receiver remote volume control, and it may be unbalanced at times.

FIXED will bypass this so that the receiver remote is the sole volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks