What's new

Steely Dan: appreciation thread and DVD discussion (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Golly, do I love Steely Dan. Almost as much as I love starting threads with the word "golly." They are one of the hippest bands around.

I picked up the Two Against Nature concert DVD and listened to the DTS track. Great sound, but the sound mix was weird. They put most of the horns in the back. I generally don't like it when they isolate instruments like that. It could be because my rear speakers are, how shall I put it, pretty crappy, but there it is. I will re-listen to the 2-ch track.

I also picked up the Classic Album series DVD for Aja. Appropriate, as this is my favorite SD album by far- one of the rare breed of "perfect" albums.

I have all 7 of the remastered CDs of the older albums, Live in America (not a great album, but still pretty cool), and Two Against Nature. What do you guys think of this one? IMO, not up to par with the older stuff, but Jack of Speed, Cousin Dupree, and Gaslighting Abbie are welcome additions to the Dan legacy.

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Let me contribute to the 'appreciation' part of this thread.

I liked "Can't Buy a Thrill". Well, most of it anyway - I love the groove on "Do it again". And the song Bodhisattva has cool guitar parts and chord changes.

But they drift off into another genre most of the time. I like their rock-based stuff more than their contemporary adult/jazz stuff. But regardless of what style they play, their production efforts are meticulous, and their lyrics are smarmy and clever.

-JNS

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I love Steely Dan. Now, I don't have all their CDs, but I have a few. In addition, I have the Gaucho DTS CD and the Two Against Nature DVD-Audio disc. Both are great. In my opinion, the Two Against Nature DVD-Audio disc is a must-have for any Steely Dan fan. The stereo DVD-Audio track sounds wonderful and is a marked improvement over the already great-sounding CD. I've heard that Gaucho will be released on SACD this year.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
And to think I was about to log-off...
And then Mike lobs in a Steely Dan post...:)
I love Steely Dan.
I loved most of Two Against Nature. My only mistake was buying the DVD Audio of it, very weird mix and poor dynamics. The redbook CD is, unbelievably, better than the DVDA. No kidding.
I have a great suggestion for you. The imported Japanese mini LPs from Red Trumpet. Crisp clear sound and original artwork.
Superb!
Now Mike you know Walter and Dan are closet jazz musicians! The mixing of genres I think is on purpose and it works for me.
Lee

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Now Mike you know Walter and Dan are closet jazz musicians! The mixing of genres I think is on purpose and it works for me.
Oh, yeah. They and I are like kindred spirits: raised on rock and running to jazz (except, of course, they're super-talented and I'm an ordinary schlub, but there you go).

It actually took me a while to realise that the Parker in Parker's Band was Charlie Parker. And, on the same album if I'm not mistaken, a cover of the Duke's wonderful East St Louis Toodle-oo.

When I saw them in concert last year, they opened the second half with the band playing straight-ahead acoustic smooth bop.

I don't like any of the other "jazz-rock" bands like Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears. I think the difference is that Becker and Fagen have a stronger understanding and appreciation of jazz, and are more clever about incorporating it with their songs.

"I see you snapshot. Your name in lights above it..."

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I do like Chicago and BST, but I agree that Steely Dan have a better grasp of the progressive jazz/rock thing by far.
I have yet to get the Two Against Nature, not sure why I'm dragging my feet on that one. I was just jamming on Gaucho DTS the other day.
Favorite from them...really tough call. I guess maybe "Peg" or "Hey Nineteen"...but that "Reelin' in the Years" riff is so classic and strong. :)
Another "SD" song I love is Donald Fagen's True Companion on the Heavy Metal soundtrack.
Oh, and lately my SD song to hear is Deacon Blues...just love it.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
KeithH,
Gaucho on Super Audio?!!!
Wow! Can't wait for that one. Was there a press release I missed?
Can you imagine Aja on Super Audio....:cool:
Lee

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised that of all Dan albums to be released on SACD, they're going with Gaucho. Oh well, not that it matters to me, I'm still stuck with the ancient technology of Compact Disc.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
KeithH,
This is great news...is there a Universal press release or is the Audio Asylum talk just speculative based on inside reports? I know Universal committed to SACD a few months ago, but I'm still waiting...and waiting...and waiting...:)
Mike,
The Sony NVP 500 is around $300-350 street. Super Audio is calling....Mike...Mike...Mike....
we have Miles Davis...
We have Hank Mobley...
we have McCoy Tyner....
We have Wynton Marsalis...
and we got great blues too...
Join your fellow jazz brethren in Super Audio heaven.
:laugh:
Lee

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I bought the 2AN CD on the strength of their Grammy wins for best album last year, and thought the CD is one of those CDs that will sound good on almost any 2-channel system because it is so well produced, and for the lack of a better term, groovy. It's nigh impossible not to bop your head, and tap your fingers and toes when listening to 2AN. While I'm familiar with their "hits" I can't say I've bought any of their earlier albums, even their Greatest Hits yet. Perhaps I will soon.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
2AN is a great, great SD album, IMHO. (Let's see how many acronyms I can squeeze into an opening sentence.) I really dig the DVD, though I haven't bought it yet. I'll agree that the ontstage mix is a little wack, but having full-range rears would probably help.

All drummers should be required to be Steely Dan fans. SD drum parts are so darn much fun to play.

NP: Dream Theater - Awake

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee,

I believe Universal did have a press release on the web somewhere announcing Gaucho and a few other titles for release on SACD. Unfortunately, I don't have the link.

Patrick,

I absolutely agree with you regarding the production quality of Two Against Nature (the stereo DVD-Audio track is killer). Actually, I feel all of Steely Dan's works are well produced. You should definitely pick up their greatest hits CD for starters.

Dan Lassiter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan Lassiter
Mike,
If you're gonna quote "The Dan," at least get it right. The line is, "I've seen your picture , your name in lights above it. Personally, I like your pinshot better.;) ;) ;)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
The Sony NVP 500 is around $300-350 street. Super Audio is calling....Mike...Mike...Mike....
we have Miles Davis...
We have Hank Mobley...
we have McCoy Tyner....
We have Wynton Marsalis...
and we got great blues too...
Join your fellow jazz brethren in Super Audio heaven.
Bastard. :)
You just had to go ahead and list some of my favorite musicians, didn't you? Hank Mobley? What are you, reading my mind?
I doubt I'd even be able to tell the difference, though. I don't have "audiophile" hearing ability. Though my speakers are pretty good, they're low-end (B&W 302). Plus, there's also DVD-A. If they came out with a player that played both formats and was under $300, then maybe I'd get that.
And me misquoting Dan: :b
NP: Marillion, Made Again, CD

Jason Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Lets get an idea of the ages of some of you Dan fans! I myself am 39 and a huge fan having seen them several times live. The Royal Scam live, and on the Two Against Nature tour was possibly the best single live song I have ever heard/seen. Thing is, I feel so damn old at a Steely Dan show when I look around at all the other old fans. Kinda like watching the crowd shots on the Peter Frampton Live in Detroit concert DVD:b

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Mike,
B&W 302s are no slouch. The new ones are outstanding!
It really is such a big difference you will probably hear a difference. My hearing is not nearly as good as my golden eared friends.
Now I don't want to be a bad influence, but we Super Audio fans need more support here on the HTF boards! :)
NP: Virginia Cavaliers in the NCAA tournament! :)
Lee

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Lee said:
Now I don't want to be a bad influence
Sure you do! The more SACD minions we attract, the more demand for software there will be, and the more titles we will see. That's the point! :D
NP: Mary Chapin Carpenter time*sex*love* SACD (stereo track)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jason, I'm 24 and I saw Steely Dan last year. At that show, I felt very young. :)
Lee,
Actually, I've been pondering the fancy-schmancy audio players a lot lately. Earlier today, I bought me a SACD player.
NP: Igor Stravinsky, Rite of Spring, SACD

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks