What's new

Static on "Bohemian Rhapsody"! Arrrgh! (1 Viewer)

Jason_H

Second Unit
Great Keith! I look forward to seeing your evaluation of the 222ES in the 222ES/555ES thread. I want to pull the trigger on one of them soon, but I'm sure curious if I can save the $220 going with the 222.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jason, I don't when and if I will get around to comparing the 'C222ES and 'C555ES. They are in different systems across the house from one another, and the 'C222ES is in its home now. I posted initial thoughts on the 'C222ES vs. the 'C333ES in the 'C222ES price-drop thread on the Audio/Video Sources board.

Jason_H

Second Unit
Oops, you just answered the question I asked in the other thread. Understood, thanks! Well, if you aren't going to directly compare them...let me ask you...is the extra money for the 555ES REALLY worth it?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jason asked:

let me ask you...is the extra money for the 555ES REALLY worth it?
My feeling is that if you can spend $600, get the 'C555ES. I feel it is the better player soundwise. A quick inspection at a store will show that the 'C555ES is built better, but I feel it is a better-sounding player too. However, I am very impressed with the 'C222ES for $380. I don't think you can wrong with either player. It simply depends on how much you want to spend.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
Keith,

I played my MFSL version of ANATO and at 2:11 listening on Sony V6 headphones, I do hear a little distortion crackle at 2:11-2:12, but that's it. I cannot make out any other to 2:30. It sounds like a part of the source recording, but so incidental. Maybe they did not want to do it over again because they felt they nailed the music and the distortion was minimal.

If it shows up in the DVD-A disc, then that confirms it. Just one of those things, like someone coughing, or a bad note, etc.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Anthony, thanks for the info. I haven't listened to "Bohemian Rhapsody" through headphones, but that would be interesting. I still haven't listened to my MFSL copy of A Night at the Opera either. Anyway, something went wrong with "Bohemian Rhapsody". Bummer.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
I am intrigued. I've been noticing what you're calling a "crackling" in several CD's lately. I currently have high-end speakers and a high-end amp, but an old Pioneer Elite receiver as my pre. I was blaming Pioneer, but it could be the discs!

For one, the "Gorillaz" CD (pretty darn new) has it. It's always in the same place. I was even worried that my tweeter was hurt, but I don't think so because most music is flawless.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Jeff,
I noticed that the Gorillaz CD crackles and distorts too. So it's not your equipment... unless it's mine, too!
;)
Martin.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I don't have the Gorillaz CD, so I can't comment. The crackling on certain CDs is frustrating, but the fact that we can pick it out shows that our systems are pretty good. :emoji_thumbsup:
NP: "You Wear It Well" on the DeBarge Greatest Hits CD (I'm not joking, though the CD is good for a laugh.) :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Another song with light crackling: Sade's "Your Love Is King". I hear crackling during the intro. through to about the 0:12 mark. To my ear, the most obvious "spike" is at 0:07. This track does not produce the most obvious crackling I have heard (not like "Bohemian Rhapsody"), but it is there. It is most obvious on my main stereo system, but once again, now that I know what to listen for, I can hear it on my second system, and even a boombox.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks