What's new

Starter golf clubs (1 Viewer)

Mike D.

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, it's time to take up golf. Not as an obsession, just something that I'm invited to do by friends/collegues/family often enough that I need to have a set of clubs rather than borrowing/renting. I'll probably only play 10-15 times a year, so there isn't any reason to spend a fortune. Plus my wife won't go along with it. So, can anyone recommend some sets to check out, in the sub-$500 range? That would cover all the basic clubs and the bag?
Or is that like asking in the hardware section for a subwoofer that does 20Hz at 105DB for

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
You won't find any name brands for under $500, not complete sets with bag at least. Maybe you can find it used on eBay or something though.
Basically, ANY brand will do, IMO. Go by the price, the lower priced ones are usually for beginners anyway. If you want to save money, skip the 5 and 3 woods initially and just buy a good driver and some decent irons.
Check out http://www.golfreview.com for reviews and advice.
/Mike

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
If you want to save money, skip the 5 and 3 woods initially and just buy a good driver and some decent irons.
I must totally disagree. If you are truly a beginner, skip the driver and make certain you have a 3 and 5 metal. Keeping it in the fairway is a must and that is a difficult thing to do with a driver (for anybody, let alone a beginner). ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have to agree with Jeff. As a beginner, you are better off forgetting about using a driver while you learn the game. A 3 or 5 wood is much easier to hit off the tee.

Most golf stores will have off-brand sets of irons and woods at a reasonable price. You should be able to keep your cost close to your $500 budget. A good store should allow you to hit the clubs before you purchase them -- some even have loaner sets that you can use for a few days (although probably not in the off-brand models). Most sets, though, do not include a putter or bag. Putters cost anywhere between $20 - $250. Also, a pair of comfortable golf shoes would be a good idea if you decide to continue playing the game. If you shop around, you can find closeouts/irregulars starting at about $40, although regular prices can easily approach $100 (or a lot more for the top of the line models).

Another option would be to ask some of your friends who golf if they have any old clubs they are interested in selling. Most avid golfers have a closet full of older clubs leftover from upgrades. I've sold some of my old clubs to co-workers, given some to my dad, and still have a bag full of old clubs in the basement.

If you buy used clubs, check the grips for wear. You may want to have them re-gripped. This is not very expensive (grips cost between $1-$5 each, and most store charge $1 per grip in labor). I have my clubs re-gripped about once per year (but I play 50 rounds a year, plus make many trips to the driving range).

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
I 2nd the notion of buying used clubs. My brother found a set of Taylor Made Burner Irons that were about 2 years old for $150. They initially sold for $500. Many people buy new clubs only to find that they don't like them or that they don't play enough to keep them. SPEND WHAT YOU SAVE ON LESSONS!!! This will get you further than any club that you buy.

Mike D.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm not going to rush into a purchase, I need to learn some things first. I feel like I'm on my way thanks to you guys.
I do like the idea of buying used clubs. Although I'm hesitant to buy something like that from E-bay. I've bought lots of stuff there, but just little stuff like DVD's. Scott, have enough in your basement to put a decent set together for me? :D :D We have a place called "Play it Again Sports" where you can buy/sell used sporting equipment, maybe I'll stop by there.
I was looking on Dicks Sporting Goods online (because we have one of these locally that I can go check out), they have something called "Affinity Golf Pro Series 390 LE Complete Set Mens" for $399. Just as reference, is this complete junk?http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...oductId=974995

John_E

Stunt Coordinator
Yes--that is junk. Cheap graphite clubs stink. However, the Wilson 1200 Gear Effect Set for $199.99 doesn't look like a bad deal. At your price level, it would be best to stick with steel shafts. Check out some local golf course pro shops, they may have some demos from last season that they would like to get rid of. BTW--I'm a 3 handicap, and my irons are 15 year old Ping Eye-2's with steel shafts. The only graphite shafted club I use is my driver.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
You should still be able to find new (old stock) Tommy Armour 845s irons for around $299. These are probably the best selling irons in history and are very forgiving. Add a couple of woods, a bag (be sure to get one with a retractable stand), and shoes, and you'll be set.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I guess it's just me then, I hardly ever used anything but the driver and the irons when I play (and when i started out).
Like the other said, stay away from graphite irons, it's extra cost for something you don't really need right now.
I would also stay away from completely unknown clubs, no reason other than that they probably are crap and will fall apart after a year... but I have no basis for believing that. :)
Oh yeah, the shoes, don't forget those! When I started out I didn't see why I needed golf shoes, I figured my sneakers would do just fine, but they make a difference.
/Mike

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Scott, have enough in your basement to put a decent set together for me?
Mike,

Unfortunately, what's left in my basement is not worth selling -- a set of old Wilson graphite shaft irons (I like graphite irons), and some old knock-off Callaway clone woods. I just gave the remaining good woods (Callaway Big Berthas) to my dad.

The Tommy Armour 845's mentioned above are a good deal if you decide to buy new and want a name brand. They are a great value. As a beginner, though, you are probably better off spending less by purchasing used equipment, just in case you end up not enjoying the game.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Ok folks if I were looking for new clubs and had $500 to spend here is where I'd go.

Generic bag on clearout $60-70

shoes( you can get last years) $50-60

CLUBS Tommy Armour 845 $250-275

Balls, tees, umbrella, $50

Total $410-455

Add in an inexpensive openfaced sandwedge(MMM openfaced club sandwich) for about $50 and away you go

Brent

Sportcheck was selling 2 different GAP wedges 54 and 59 degree for $60 canadian so keep your eyes open.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Brent,
You forgot a fairway wood or two and a putter. While some people do play without any woods (there's a guy in our league who does), it's pretty hard to play without a putter. :)
Personally, I find fairway woods much easier to hit than long irons. I'm a 13 handicap whose biggest weakness is distance. Anymore, the longest iron in my bag is a 5 -- I've replaced my 3 and 4 irons with 7 and 9 woods. I get some razzing from the guys about the 9 wood, but they stop the laughing when I'm on the green and they're not. :laugh:

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I guess you are right about the putter .. whoops:) ... Say $60-70 for lowend ping(Darby on sale) or a used putter.
As for Drivers; look at a 3 or 5 wood. Personally If I had the choice I'd go for the 3. Darn, I've seen the original Tight Lies For $100 CANADIAN new.
I guess you can get shoes on clearout for $30-40, I'm sure you have balls and tees already, and you probably have a Umbrella, so skip that too.
NOW we seem to be back into the ballpark EH!
You just saved yourself $100. You can even get a bag for $30-40 if you aren't particular.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks