Golf club clones??

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris S, May 20, 2004.

1. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I've been looking for a good, but inexpensive, set of clubs to start playing again. I haven't played in about 10 years and didn't want to spend a whole lot of money on a starter set. I've tried the local golf shops and none of them seemed to have what I am looking for (a good used set of Tommy Armour 845s). So I started looking online and noticed that there where a few manufactures of "clones". The one that interests me the most is the Gigagolf.com Xl-6 irons (Callaway X-16 clones).

But my question is are golf club clones any good? Has anyone used clones before or seen any reviews? There is a 30 day trial period but I'd rather not waste my time if clones have a horrible reputation.

Thanks,
    Chris S.

2. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

Some of the clones are decent some aren't. You should have a club maker in your area that has sets you can borrow and make them for you. I have been playing a knock off set of Armour 845's for 10 years and have a 12 handicap. Search Edwin Watts on line. They should have Armours cheap.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I managed to pick up a new set of Armours 855's last fall and really like them. One of my bosses had a custom set made that are clones of Nike I think and he seems to like them but like most things cloned there's likely a wide range of quality and your resale value is likely very low unlike a set of more name brand clubs. That may or may not matter depending on if you see yourself upgrading at any point in the not so distant future.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Many of the clone clubs are junk. They may look like Callaway Steelheads or Titliest irons, but can be made from poor quality components. A former golfing buddy bought a set of clone irons and metal woods and had very poor luck with them. Several clubheads came loose, shafts broke near the hosel, etc.

I'm not saying they are all like that, but be careful. I wouldn't buy any clones without actually touching them and hitting the clubs. If you are looking to save money, you would be safer to stick with used clubs from legitimate manufacturers, IMO.

As for online shopping, I have found that the local golf stores are very competitive with the major online stores such as Edwin Watts and The Golf Warehouse. I just ordered a set of MacGregor V-Foil forged irons from the local Carl's Golfland for the same price as the online places, plus I get a free night's stay and round of golf for two at a golf resort in Northern Michigan.

Depending on your area, though, maybe the local golf shops are not as competitive. In any case, the online retailers will give you a good idea on what a fair price is for new clubs.

5. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

You definetly have to look if your getting clones. I got my set used for 100 bucks from a pro in Orlando that does some testing for companies. I was just starting and didn't want to spend a lot. Like I said earlier after 10 years I'm a true 12 handicap from the tips and they still work great form me. I sugessted Edwin Watts because we do have one here. But then again we have the World Golf Hall of Fame and the Players Chamionship to...[​IMG] Gotts love Florida and all our courses.

6. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    Thanks for all the help. Well I checked out the Armours and the (real) Callaway X-16s at Edwin Watts today and I think I perfer the Armours. The wieght of the Callaways feels a little off to me. The Armours were priced at $250 which is a little more than I was looking to spend so I think I'll keep looking.

Chris S.

7. Erik.Ha

Erik.Ha Supporting Actor

The rule to any golf club, brand name or clone, is HIT IT FIRST!!!

Go to a BUNCH of demo days and hit hit hit... Just because a club has a brand name on it, and costs a million bucks doesn't mean you'll be able to hit that club... Each is different. If you can hit a clone just as good as the original, why pay more?

I followed this advice and it just so happened that the brand name Big Bertha Irons worked the best for me... So I bought them... But (unlike everybody else?) I couldn't hit the callaway drivers to save my life... So I kept trying other makes until I found one that did what I wanted...

I am VERY happy with the set of clubs I EVENTUALLY (over a year?) put together.

8. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I'm also just starting out. I went to local pro shop, made idle chitchat with the owner and tried out about a half dozen brand name used clubs. All were not exactly good then again I thought it must be me. So he handed me those Rack (?) irons. I hit it good then the guy handed me the new Big Bertha irons. Man those are great! Its so forgiving I could hit 'em dead center each time! But as for woods, I got a nice Top Flite, cheaper than most with a head as big as Texas. Can't miss with that huh?