What's new

Star Wars Ep. VII Megathread: The Force Awakens (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
DanH1972 said:
The prequels are lousy and the "updates" to the original trilogy are a farce. Han didn't shoot first... he shot ONLY. :D
In your opinion. ;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
DanH1972 said:
You never saw the original un-f--ked with films, I take it?
Of course I did. In theaters. And I prefer the original unaltered films. And?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
DanH1972 said:
The prequels are lousy and the "updates" to the original trilogy are a farce.

Han didn't shoot first... he shot ONLY. :D
The changes that have been made to the films over the years have nothing to do with the quality of the Blu-ray presentation in the context of this discussion.

May I request that any discussion on the merits (or lack thereof) of any changes to the films themselves be constrained to the already lengthy discussion(s) that can be found elsewhere on this forum? :) While I can't speak for others, I would prefer it if this thread could remain focused on the upcoming film rather than morph into another passionate debate on film revisionism.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Jason Charlton said:
The changes that have been made to the films over the years have nothing to do with the quality of the Blu-ray presentation in the context of this discussion.May I request that any discussion on the merits (or lack thereof) of any changes to the films themselves be constrained to the already lengthy discussion(s) that can be found elsewhere on this forum? :) While I can't speak for others, I would prefer it if this thread could remain focused on the upcoming film rather than morph into another passionate debate on film revisionism.
Exactly and Amen! :)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
That the vast majority of Star Wars fans bugged Lucas for years--and now are bugging Disney--for the release of the unaltered trilogy in HD says all that needs saying about the special editions. One has only to read the reviews of the set on Amazon to see that DanH1972 is not, by a long shot, alone in his opinion.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Carabimero said:
That the vast majority of Star Wars fans bugged Lucas for years--and now are bugging Disney--for the release of the unaltered trilogy in HD says all that needs saying about the special editions. One has only to read the reviews of the set on Amazon to see that DanH1972 is not, by a long shot, alone in his opinion.
No one said he was. And you nailed it. In his opinion. And as I said I happen to agree although I don't make blanket statements as though they were facts that's all. Now can we please take Jason's advice and move on?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I wonder if Williams' score for the new movies will be similar to the OT, or more muted like today's film scores. Lucas once said the films were like silent movies, with the music telling you what you need to know. Movies have gotten away from that. Which is a shame.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Sam Favate said:
I wonder if Williams' score for the new movies will be similar to the OT, or more muted like today's film scores.
They will be superb scores, not at all muted, he will give us something very memorable just like he did for the prequels.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I expect the score to contain threads of Han and Leia's theme, since they are in the movie, as well as other familiar motifs, seeing as most OT characters are back. The most muted score Williams has done, arguably, is ACCIDENTAL TOURIST or maybe ANGELA'S ASHES. In my opinion even muted Williams is a better bet than Giacchino. While I thought Giacchino soared with Super 8 (one of my favorite scores ALL-TIME), I thought his work on Star Trek only slightly better than rote. Williams won't disappoint.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Carabimero said:
I expect the score to contain threads of Han and Leia's theme, since they are in the movie, as well as other familiar motifs, seeing as most OT characters are back. The most muted score Williams has done, arguably, is ACCIDENTAL TOURIST or maybe ANGELA'S ASHES. In my opinion even muted Williams is a better bet than Giacchino. While I thought Giacchino soared with Super 8 (one of my favorite scores ALL-TIME), I thought his work on Star Trek only slightly better than rote. Williams won't disappoint.
Williams is the master. Most of the rest of the "new breed" of film scorers only wish they had half his musical talent.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Agreed.

It will be hard enough not hearing the 20th Century Fox fanfare before Episode VII starts. No Williams would have been virtually intolerable.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Carabimero said:
His score for the closing credits of Cloverfield was superb but as already said, John Williams is the master.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'll admit I gave Cloverfield only a quick watch. Will have to listen to the end credits.

I think if I had to compile a list of my top ten theatrical scores, I wonder how many would be Williams? Let's see: Star Wars, Empire, Superman, Raiders, ET, Jaws--good gravy, that's 60%! (the other scores being ST:TMP, Fellowship of the Rings, Conan the Barbarian and Super 8).

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Williams if course is the master and I'm sure all other composers look up to him. My strong #2 is Jerry Goldsmith. 1979. Alien and STTMP. And many of his others of course, some listed below in Malcolm's post.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tino said:
Williams if course is the master and I'm sure all other composers look up to him. My strong #2 is Jerry Goldsmith. 1979. Alien and STTMP.
Just looking at IMDB, apart from the two films you already mentioned i would say these are some of my favourite Goldsmith composed scores, films like Von Ryan's Express, The Wind and the Lion, Poltergeist, First Blood, The Thirteenth Warrior, Star Trek: First Contact, The Ghost and the Darkness, Congo, Bad Girls, Basic Instinct, Total Recall, Extreme Prejudice, King Solomon's Mines, Legend, Supergirl, The Omen, Planet Of The Apes, Lonely Are The Brave, The Mummy and Capricorn One.

Looking at that list i'd like to see some films hit blu ray that are not out such as The Ghost and The Darkness, Extreme Prejudice and Supergirl, i'd also like to see re-released with better transfers, Basic Instinct, First Blood, Bad Girls and Planet Of The Apes.

Talking about film composers, what happened to Hans Zimmer, some good film scores in his career, i loved his scores for Thelma and Louise, Backdraft, True Romance, The Lion King, The Rock and Gladiator, Batman Begins was also okay but a lot of his stuff hasn't been memorable for me, some of his stuff just lacks a central theme, i mean Man Of Steel, i can't remember anything about that music score and yet over 35 years later i can still recall John Williams score for the original Superman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks